Being fit while having a 8-5 Job

thehardertruths

Hello everyone, I'm planning to start my fitness journey. Meron din po bang tulad ko dito na employee with 8am-5pm | 6 days/week. Pano nyo po nasisingit sa schedule ang gym regularly and pano po kayo nakakapagtabi ng energy to work out? Ano po mga naexperience nyong mga challenges and ano diskarte nyo para maovercome yun?

@thehardertruths This is how I got through those hellish 36hour shifts when I was a trainee and still apply these principles up to now

1) Have realistic goals

2) Figure out a routine that works best for you and your work schedule, that you can maintain
The perfect fitness routine is the one that you can commit to and maintain

3) Think of working out as a reward at the end of the day, rather than a chore or an assignment. Changing your mindset to that will make you look forward sa workout and will energize you.

4) Explore other time slots, like before work. And consider it as a energizer before your day.

5) It helps if may accountability buddy ka

6) Keep your eyes on the prize. It might take time, but eventually you'll reach your goals, so just keep going

7) Some days you won't feel like it, and that's okay. Listen to your body, if it's fatigue then rest, if not then those are the days that you need to work out tlga. Remember that consistency > motivation

8) Have rest days. Days where you do other things as an outlet na hindi workout. You need to have a balance. Unless gym rat ka, you can't always be in the gym.

I'm a gym rat myself, pero I schedule rest days where I do other sports and other activities like going out for dinner, etc.

Hope this helps, OP

@thehardertruths Shift: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm

I tried different workout schedules, and I found my groove sa early morning workouts. I go to the gym at 5:30 am every weekdays. Ang routine ko ay warm up, weight lifting, walk sa treadmill and then post-workout stretch. Basta ang angat ko sa mat ay 7:15 am kasi maliligo pa ako, magbibihis bago pumasok sa office, at drive to work.

The key to success is the night before. Kailan tanggal lahat ng barriers. Inaayos ko na yung gym bag ko sa gabi, nakalatag na ang workout clothes na susuotin, nasa ref na ang pre-workout drink lalagyan nalang ng tubig at nakatakal na din ang protein powder sa milk containers na para sa sanggol. Haha. Pati packed lunch, ready na din. I-microwave nalang sa office.

Yung gym na pinupuntahan ko ay open 24 hours at 10 minute drive to the office, kaya rest day ko weekends kasi hassle dayuin.

Okay sa akin yung morning workouts kasi ang daming kaagaw sa gabi sa mga equipment. Ang ligalig pa kapag nagsabay yung classes at patugtog sa gym. Pwedeng mag-make face kapag nabibigatan kasi 3 lang naman kayo, magkakalayo pa. Tapos traffic pa kapag pauwi, imbis na pahinga na ako ng 6:15pm, eh stuck pa ako sa byahe hanggang 8:30pm. Para tapos na din, feeling accomplished agad.

@thehardertruths My shift is 12pm -12am Sunday - Thursday. After ng 12am shift, rekta buhat na hanggang 2am. Swerte ako na midshift kasi walang tao sa gym. Sobrang peaceful magbuhat ng 12am haha. Wala naman akong goals kaya di ko rin ma-explain kung bakit kinakaya ko yung consistent buhat. Hindi ko kasi tinuturing na parang chore yung gym. Naging outlet ko na lang talaga siya kasi wala naman akong ibang ginagawa sa buong linggo ko kung hindi magtrabaho, magbuhat, matulog, kumain.

@thehardertruths I work at 9 to 6 sometimes OT when pushing to production, tapos maglalaba magluluto mamamalantsa, I still am able to work out at least 1.5 hours 3 times a week.

Sacrifice is indeed needed. Tanggalin mo ung pag-cecellphone, panonood Ng TV, pagtambay, pakikipagdaldalan, and you'll soon realize, ang haba Pala Ng Oras.

Remove the unnecessary stuff and you'll realize you have a lot of time.

@thehardertruths You have to find what works for you through trial and error. Find a flexible split din. For me, 3x a week lang ako onsite so on days na wfh and weekend, tinatry ko talaga imaximize yun so about 4x a week at max ako nakakabuhat.

Rotation lang ng session kung kailan may time magworkout and kailan recovered ang katawan — so may times na 2x a week per muscle group may times na 1x lang.

Discipline and consistency is key, yes. But don’t force yourself to adhere to something na you know hindi sustainable for you in the long run. It’s something that should enhance, and not takeover your life.

Lastly, enjoy the process! :)

@thehardertruths Noong full time pa ako (10am to 7pm) hati ng workout ko is 3x a week. 6 workouts each day. Hinahati ko sila ng umaga (3 workouts) tapos gabi (3 workouts). Di ko kasi kinaya nang derederetso kaya hinati ko throughout the day oks lang naman sabi ng coach ko kasi whatever fits my sched. Basta the best split is one na you can adhere to. If 2x a week lang kaya mo, go lang push mo yan. Basta be consistent. Wag pilitin ng 5 or 6 times a week if di kaya. If lifestyle lang 2-4 times a week is enough na

@thehardertruths I only work 5days a week (8hrs daily). After work diretso sa gym. Very simple. Wfh pala ako so malaking factor yon na marami akong natitipid na time. Instead na sa commute napupunta, pinapang gym ko na lang. 😁

Been doing that for over a year consistent. So far so good naman. Tamang discipline lang din talaga. Haha.

I also invested din sa mga appliances na pang meal prep like Air Fryer para makatipid sa time pang meal prep. If wala kang time sa meal prep mapapagastos ka sa protein powder. If syempre goal mo is to build muscle.

@thehardertruths 8-5 ang work ko, minsan may OT pa at umuuwi ng 6-6:30 pm. May mga panahon din sa gabi na may meetings akong pinupuntahan kaya loaded ang night schedule ko.

Ang ginagawa ko ay mag-workout sa umaga, mga 5:30 am. Gigising ako ng mga 4:30 am para makapaghanda na and do daily journal. I like morning workouts kasi marami akong time na magprepare sa gabi at nabo-boost ang energy ko for work.

Try out what schedule works best and have a rest day in between weekdays.

Like others say, prepare everything the night before - workout clothes, office clothes, office bag, things to bring and even meals. Do meal prepping.

Nung una mahirap yung ganitong schedule pero as I see my progress, I am excited to keep this lifestyle.

Do your best op. Kaya mo yan.

@thehardertruths Dati 4pm onwards pa ako nakakawork out, after office hours. For the past year, 5am-7am na ako nagwowork out. Tapos iinom ng kape or tea o kakain ng apple para alert ang utak ko sa office kahit physically tired na.

@thehardertruths I work shifts of up to 9-10 hours, and initially, I found it challenging to incorporate my fitness programs. However, I eventually discovered a routine that suits me. Firstly, I prepare my meals the night before work. Secondly, I purchase high-calorie and protein-rich snacks (I am currently in a bulking phase). Lastly, I have found that an upper/lower split workout routine works well with my busy schedule. I hope this helps :)

@thehardertruths I don't have a fixed work schedule but my "focus" hours is 10 AM to 2 PM (7 days a week).

After work, I do some errands like cleaning, shopping, etc.

I workout anytime past 5PM. Maximum of 75 minutes per session, 3 times a week. Resistance training lang with ample intensity and consistent progressive overload.

I'm done at around 7:30 pm (including dinner and light errands), I do another "focus" session around 8pm til I fall asleep at 12 midnight.

Make sure you eat well and rest well. I suggest ayusin mo muna yung eating and sleeping routine mo before ka magdagdag ng exercise routine. Start by juggling two balls muna — not three.

Find ways to be efficient. You need to be efficient in preparing food and even planning your clothes (para tipid sa clothes).

It takes a while to find an efficient way to include exercise sa routine. It's worth it tho

@thehardertruths 8am-5pm ako weekdays and 1pm-6pm Saturday class sa grad school. For me, mas helpful kapag naka schedule yung workouts after work/school then diretso tulog after. As much as possible di ko siya ginagawang daily routine para may enough time to rest and do other stuff (chores, socialize, extracurriculars), However, I see to it na makakapagworkout at least 4 times a week (personal goal). It's also helpful to me na ginagawang stress reliever yung workoutafter a shitty day sa work. Just find your own rhythm para you can figure out what works best for you.

Also, last na. Incorporate mo yung workout as a habit and not a chore para mas maging consistent ka. Good luck, OP!

@thehardertruths Gy shift here 12-9am. Always dreamed about having a day job kasi morning person ako. Pero I work out after shift. Gives me energy and boost my mood. I suggest going after work kasi it's like a reward.