Big guy wanting to get less big

@brian7377 Is it your work that’s stopping you?

You owe it to yourself to keep a healthy body. A lot of people allow work or life to get in the way of their own goals. It’s perfectly normal and acceptable to put yourself first sometimes. This will probably also help with some of the mental health issues you’ve been dealing with as well. Just stand up for yourself and realize that you’re worth the effort.

All of this “set goals” and “find a friend/ accountability partner to work out with” is nice, but it’s not guaranteed. The only thing you’re 100% in control of is your own drive.

@shpurp It can contribute, along with other things. If I was completely honest, I’m a master of self sabotage and let things get to me/build to be bigger than they are. I suppose I’m not great at managing stress so when it kicks up, I turn to the usual comforts and get out of the way of training, which aren’t great for me.

@brian7377 Do you want it or not? Stop looking whatever bullshit you think will help make you show up. Do you want to make changes or not? It really is that simple.

@brian7377 It’s a simple answer, but a difficult change. I found my success accepting that health is a lifestyle, not a temporary diet. Everyone is saying, be consistent. That doesn’t just stop at the gym, it goes into consistent diet, active lifestyle… wanting to be healthier.

You will see change the more consistent you are, eating, going to the gym, etc. your body will adapt to fit the demand you are putting it through. Stay consistent with incremental and achievable goals, it will remain your life style.

P.S. - not a sober guy, just accepted a healthier lifestyle. 8 yrs: went from 255 -> 240 -> 220 -> 200. Good luck, it can be done.

@brian7377 Showing up and consistency matter, but what really makes a difference is 90% outside the gym. How’s the nutrition and sleep? Are you eating well 80% of the time and getting at least 8 hours a night?

@brian7377 Besides all the great tips in this thread, maybe also get a personal crossfit trainer who can be there as mental support and for whom you can be accountable. Start with bi weekly coaching in the first two months and then less regularly. There will probably not be any ground breaking stuff beyond what’s written in this thread but at least you won’t feel that you’re alone in your journey.

@brian7377 Boxing workouts. Toughest workouts you’ll find, will give you mental engagement and build real skills that will reap practical physical and mental benefits.

@brian7377 1) DISCIPLINE: Don't rely on motivation, it will wax and wane.....you want discipline. I started CrossFit almost 3 years ago after many years of off and on working out. Now, I'm the guy that if I miss a couple days in the gym, my wife asks if I'm ok. Build a system around you that makes you consistent and drives the discipline to go even on the days you don't want to.

2) DIET (NUTRITION): I did CrossFit for 2.5 years and didn't lose a single pound/kg, probably gained a few. In June, I started taking my diet seriously.......GAME CHANGER. Since then I've dropped 45 lbs and feel much better in the gym. Yeah, my lifts decreased, but the bodyweight stuff is soooo much easier now. I'll plug the MacroFactor app as that's what I used to give me a strategy for eating, but there are other options even a registered dietician.

3) DON'T COMPARE......to others in the gym. Track your WODs and weights and compare yourself to YOURSELF. Who cares that the other guy at the gym deadlifted 500 lbs, when you only got 285. Was there improvement over the last time you did DLs? That's all that matters, moving YOUR needle forward.

@brian7377 For me, the following realizations help keep me going:
  • Stress reduction - this keeps me wanting to keep training everyday - nothing like cutting down on the stress of a difficult day of work with a WOD.
  • Progress tracking with an online program (or if you go to a gym even better).
  • Food tracking (I use MacroFactor) - keeps me honest about what I’m putting into my body.
  • Minimal alcohol - I did this to reduce my calories and after going to a drink a month I’ve had a huge improvement of just general positivity in my life.
Some weeks are better than others workout and food wise. Don’t worry if life gets in the way, just start over new each week.

Staying out of the mental trap of, “I haven’t worked out in a week (2, 3, 4 or more!) so it’s going to be rough, so I’m going to avoid it” will let you get back on the horse when life gets in the way.

Good luck! Getting married and what usually comes next is such a fun part of life.

Source - big dude crossfitting since 2016,
married, busy dad still staying fit