BMR Q

neahkahnie

I am a 5’4 157.6 lb female and my BMR is 1,447 kcal/ day. If I were to reduce this by 250 it would be 1,197. I know eating under 1,200 calories a day is unhealthy. How could I reduce this to lose weight?

@neahkahnie "BMR is the the basic number of calories you need to sustain life. It’s the energy your body needs to keep your heart pumping, your circulation, lungs, brain and other vital organs working, and your body temperature regulated, and so on.

TDEE, on the other hand, is the number of calories you burn every day, not just to sustain life but to go about your daily activities (including exercise). And to calculate your TDEE you first need to find out your BMR. Then once you know your TDEE, you can set an effective calorie deficit goal."

"Armed with your BMR, the next step is to work out your TDEE. While it may not be a precise science, this gives you a reasonable estimate of how many calories you need every day for your current level of physical activity. And it’s easier than calculating BMR, since all you have to do is multiply your BMR by one of the following numbers, depending on how active you are:

BMR x 1.2 (sedentary, little to no exercise)

BMR x 1.3 (light exercise one to three days a week)

BMR x 1.55 (moderate exercise three to five days a week)

BMR x 1.725 (heavy, hard exercise six or seven days a week)

BMR x 1.9 (having a highly physical job or doing hard exercise six or seven days a week)"

I used this as source because im on my phone.

Using this calculation and the info you posted, you ate lightly active, so you have a TDEE close to 1880. That would make a 500 deficit easier, you would eat around 1380.

I know protein is the most important of the macronutrients, but do the amounts of protein/ carbs/ fats matter as long as I’m sticking to my cal deficit number? Or is that more IIFYM? For meals I try to at least have a source of protein, a veggie, and a carb. I like doing chicken or pork steak, green beans or a veggie mix, and Mac n cheese.

Back