Bob's Basic BWF (B)Hypertrophy (B)Routine

pencin

The Program​

Here is the spreadsheet

It's super basic but it should serve you well for ~4-6mo in a row if you don't want to prioritize strength all that much, more alternatives to the routines we already have on this sub is always nice. Weight stays the same for the 4 weeks, Week 1-3 ramps volume up, Week 4 is a a little deload, and then you restart the cycle with (ideally) higher weight. You can take a full week for deload and make that your Week4, or add a "week 5" every couple cycles for a full deload week if you want, the choice is up to you and what you.

Exercise substitution?​

There are some notes in some of the cells, Google Sheets denotes it with a little Chevron in the corner of the cell, I'm not sure if they show up differently on mobile. They contain alternatives to the listed exercises so check them before you ask a question. Otherwise, as long as the movement pattern is relatively similar (Pushdowns instead of triceps extensions) then go for it.

Leg day?​

Take your pick:
  1. Add 1-2 squats (barbell, step up, pistol, split squat, lunge etc...) to Day 1 and 3, and add 1-2 hinge (RDL, Deadlift, Good Morning etc..) to Day 2 and 4.
  2. Add a dedicated leg day on one (or both if you're so inclined) of the rest days
If you're taking a weighted approach, you can take the leg day from Metallicadpa's PPL on r/fitness, for example. BWF sucks for legs so I don't bother programming it.

LEGS

2x5, 1x5+ squat

3x8-12 Romanian Deadlift

3x8-12 leg press

3x8-12 leg curls

5x8-12 calf raises

What if I can't do 8 pullups?​

You can do your sets with a mix of regular and negatives, or use a band to bring the intensity down. Assisted pullup machine is an OK last resort if you have access to it, but I don't like it cause it has different body positioning compared to regular pullups. It isn't a huge deal, but it's an unnecessary if you can avoid it.

Can I run this on a cut?​

Most likely, yes. If you're having issues recovering then remove 1 excerise from the end of the list (don't remove dragon flag/palof press) until you can recover.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?​

@dawn16 If you have absolutely no means to do extensions, yes but it won't be as effective if imagine.

And no, frequency doesn't matter for hypertrophy if it isn't paired with increased volume

@pencin I meant with increased volume ofc, for example if i combine pulling and pushing into 1 session, and do this 3x week wont i have better results?, or is it too much volume?