Bulking up

jtbrock

Hi I'd like to know your inputs if I'm doing it wrong or I should add more to this. Thanks!

My weekly workout routine consists of P-P-L on three consecutive days tapos rest day after and so on...

Home workout is more manageable sa time ko as a newbie compared to gym for now. I do have DB pairs up to 15lb pa lang and planning to add more. I don't do heavy cardio

Here's my Push day routine:
  • 4x8 Push Up
  • 4x15 Standing DB Shoulder Press
  • 4x12 DB Fly
  • 3x15 Lateral Raise
  • 3x15 Flat DB Fly
  • 3x15 Sitting Overhead Extension
And next on my Pull day:
  • 4x10 Renegade Row
  • 4x15 DB Row
  • 4x12 One-Arm DB Row
  • 4x15 Rear Delt Row
  • 3x12 Narrow Grip Bicep Curl
  • 3x15 Reverse DB Fly
Then for Leg day:
  • 4x10 DB Lunges
  • 4x15 DB Hip Thrusts
  • 4x12 Bulgarian Split Squats
  • 4x15 Romanian Deadlifts
I currently weigh 132lb and am 5'5" tall. Also, Ectomorph ako. Aged 24.

My work starts at two in the afternoon until midnight.

Diet includes Chicken Breast, Egg, Coffee, Oats, Dairy, Pasta, fruits and Rice. Before, I was counting my daily intake using MyFitnessPal pero hindi ko na natuloy. I make sure na ma-exclude yung mga oily, fatty and processed foods. Bulking calories is around 2,800 so still trying to eat, eat, and eat.

I was planning to take Whey Protein pero hesitant kasi ako dahil baka mag-cause ng acne breakouts sa akin since prone ang genes ko sa pimples. Hehe and what can you also recommend na supplement?

Starting to focus now on bulking, there's progress, I think, pero hindi malaki. Another goal is to ramp up my weight to 143lb.

I've attached my pic here, if you're wondering about my body fat. Thanks in advanced!

https://preview.redd.it/1pl6go4huts...bp&s=452c33591657baa6d48ea1d78745e9705cac1ae0

@jtbrock IMO that's way too much calories. Lean bulking is the way (meaning just 100-300 calories above your maintenance). For context, i'm 5''5" at 139 lbs and my lean bulk calories is at 1800.

@jtbrock Your body fat is at mid-high. I'm guessing at least 23%. 2800 calories is too much and the tendency is you would just add way more unwanted fat in proportion to muscle that you can add. And at 5'5'' 132 lbs, you definitely can naturally add more lean muscle.

Focus on building your strength, given your info, your metrics should be increasing your repetitions can make till failure. Personally I wouldn't suggest to do a limit (ex. a define number of reps like you listed) of repetitions that you can do in a certain workout because your muscle can easily adapt to that and won't grow further. Remember that muscle grow because it has to adjust on a stimulus which is an overload/challenge done by a certain exercise. Btw, you can also add body weight exercises like push ups if you only train at home. On diet for bulk/strength building, hit 1g protein/1 pound body weight with just enough carbs and fat that can support your strength building. Above that in my opinion isn't necessary na. I think you will be fine at ~2000 cal.

@gustavowoltmann This is helpful, especially yung reps till failure. I forgot about that. Thank you! I forgot to mention too na I calculated my maintenance calories to 2,379 per day. So, I think, I should just add around 500 per day, right? Pero will focus more muna pala sa extra fats by tracking food intake. Hindi na monitored for the past few weeks eh.

@jtbrock I have the same dilemma I started at 115lbs at 5’8 tall when I was 25 with no body fat. I just went into a bakal gym and they teach me a lot of wrong stuff then I did a lot of research hindi pa uso google at net nun that time mga early 2000 nagbasa lng ako mga books and magazines and nakibarkada ako sa mga bodybuilder. Mahal pa masyado ang whey that time so nag focus lng ako sa itlog at kain ng ano merun. It takes time to gain my ideal weight of 160lbs now 49 na ko my weight is 165lbs from 115lbs just maintaining it. Maipayo ko lng focus on compound movement like bench press it helps me a lot to gain strength and achieve my ideal weight and also rest or sleep at least 6 hours a day and of course ung nutrition. Good luck in your journey

@gospel_van Solid achievement sir!!! I do my research now to ask the right questions sa mga experienced like you. Also, comparing mga advices na napapanood din sa Youtube kasi minsan contradicting ang mga tips dun. Now improving nmn learning curve ko....I can manage my sleep naman and improving my workout routine...pero medyo struggling lang sa nutrition since it takes time to prepare, plan, and budgeting....sinasanay ko pa sarili ko hehe thank you!

@jtbrock I have been through also lahat ng pinagdadaanan mo sir from time management to budgetting sobrang hirap talaga since I used to work at graveyard before and nadale talaga ung health ko kaya i decided to resigned and look for another work. At my age now I am self employed so it helps a lot to maintain my desired weight and physical strength lucky enough nakakapag gym ako ako 3 times a week at a bakal gym near in my home. Base on my experience lng sir marami ko kasabayan sa Gym na kasing payat ko din nag give up after 6 months due to lack of results. You don’t need a perfect program what you need is a program that is fit to your lifestyle which prioritize nutrition and recovery yun ang pinaka important sa mga hardgainers tulad natin

@shafiqul Nope. I just wanna improve my strength and lifestyle. At the same time, of course, to look good in the mirror lol I naturally have small body 'frame' na I think awkard tingnan kasi malaki yung head ko (also asked some of my peers about this and it's true nga). Goal isn't necessarily having a ripped body. Siguro buff, I think.

Back