Burnout

harrison19

Does anyone else get really obsessive about changing their life and routine for a couple weeks and then completely burnout?
I am so nervous to get back into fitness because I so easily lose interest and can’t stay consistent after a while.
The same thing happens to me with most of my hobbies/interests in general.
Has anyone else struggled with this and/or have any tips to get through this?

P.S. I am 5’0” 153 lbs and 20 years old. I gained 10 pounds from birth control last year after taking it for like 2 months and haven’t been able to get the weight off still. I want to get down to 125

@harrison19 You have to put in the work and change your mindset. It’s not “fitness.” It’s health and life. I swear if you just look at is as daily movement and work that has to get done for you to live fully, it’s easy. You have to eat, you have to drink, you have to sleep, and you have to move. This was a game changer, right after I swallowed the hard pill that I was 5’1 and couldn’t eat any and everything in sight🤣

@harrison19 I think the way I see it is if I stopped everything now, went back to not tracking my cals, not moving, eating whatever I fancied all the time. I would regain the weight I lost (1st), my fitness levels would decrease so everything would be harder (shopping, walking, moving) I'd definitely be spending more money (takeaways and snacks for bad days and having to buy more flattering clothes to make me feel better).

I think if you remember that you can have days where you do the above (I'm having 1 right now because my period is kicking my arse), and then you just get right back into good habits. It won't ruin your progress. It really is a lifestyle change. I always say I'm training for my "old lady body" which is true and keeps me focused on what's important

@harrison19 This is me with the exact same metrics but 36 years old. I would love to get down to 110 where I was. I have tried everything from calorie tracking to walks to workouts. And I'm mentally exhausted. I put up. A good face for everyone else around me but I physically hate myself. It's honestly so hard.

@henry78 I think it’s because you’re attaching your worth to a number. Why do you have to be 110? How long has it been since you were that weight? At some point, you have to be comfortable in your own body and measure success other ways…

@harrison19 I’m exactly the same tbh and still struggle with it, I can’t set myself any kind of strict routine because I just won’t and cannot stick to it, pretty sure I have adhd. I would recommend just finding a bunch of fun activities and sticking to those. And days you don’t want to do anything just go for a walk around the mall or something small you know. I can’t be too strict with eating either but I can hold off eating until after 10am which helps consume less overall. Also I look up calories on MFP but I pretty much never log them because I can’t be bothered lol

@harrison19 Me, I feel this 1000%. What worked for me after having 2 kids, going from 176 down to 130 was a friend struggling with her weight too, we started working out together, then training for a 5K together, to running marathons together. I broke my ankle and stopped working out altogether, gained ALL the weight back. Now, I don't know hardly anyone in my area, no one is fighting their weight of those I do and I'm now fighting hypothyroidism AND menopause to make it worse. I've gained 20 (on top of the regain) in just the last year and I'm not eating any differently, portion size, etc. I will say an accountability buddy is the best thing you can do to keep you moving.

@harrison19 The burnout happens to me as well. Sometimes I just have to narrow my focus to winning each day/executing the plan vs thinking about how long I need to do it to see results.

@harrison19 Totally get this! It's like the initial boost wears off and it's so hard to trust the process especially if you're not seeing results.
  1. I find listening to podcasts like 9 lives a little fitness and mindset while going on walks helps remind me of trusting the process and sticking with it.
  2. I have to keep things novel so reaching out to friends for active social dates are a must.
  3. A good gym buddy also helps in a big way
  4. For me keeping meals idiot proof helps - I eat a lot of pre cooked calorie controlled meals so the decision to eat healthy is as easy as it could be
  5. I remember my why ... which is freedom. Freedom to enjoy clothes shopping, holidays, events without being unhappy with my body

@harrison19 I've been going hard diet wise for about 5 weeks and it's been a challenge. I got off a cruise and boy did I hate how I looked at the photos so it was very motivating. I hit a wall about a week ago with a mental "omg I can't fucking do this anymore" mindset. I decided to give myself a day where I just ate whatever I wanted within reason (no stuffing myself, nothing crazy excessive like 3 ice creams in a row etc) and that gave me a mental reset.

Then, I got back to focusing on my why. I keep reminding myself that when motivation fades, discipline is what leads to success. I keep reminding myself I'm setting a better example for my son and even my husband. I keep reminding myself that I don't want to hate having my picture taken. These things help.

Back