CrossFit burnout?

@bonlin I get he most burnout after the open/quarters. I usually just pick another goal for a few months. Ranging from diet goals to fitness goals. Sign up for a race or a competition. Or just go to a few more happy hours and enjoy the weather. Whatever, I’ve found it doesn’t really matter, it just needs to be anything other than competitive CrossFit. A few months later I usually start to miss and the cycle starts all over. One thing I’ve started doing the past couple years is not following a program. I just show up and do what feels good. Typically along with some sort of loose lifting template. I’ve found these relieves a lot of the pressure from training year to year. I know this feels like blasphemy to not be following a structured program, but if my head isn’t in it, I’m not gonna follow any program anyway. (M40, CrossFit for 14 years)

@bonlin I reckon you just need a break. I think a lot of people at quite fatigued with at the moment though. Particularly people who’ve been doing it for years.

@bonlin 10 years crossfit coach here.

I felt the burnout multiple times, but the thing that help me the most is to train in another crossfit box.

My job is my job and i have pleasure doing it, but once i'm done, i train somewhere else just to be the regular guy who do his crossfit class like anybody else.

Hope it can help you.

For my fitness level with the open coming, i always the feeling to be the person to beat by my own people. Sometimes its not easy to deal with, but i have no proof to give to anyone. And sometime a 36 old guy like me dealing with knee injury and back pain will still be able to kick young ass people, just because of the experience.

It's not over dude, train smarter, and maybe accept that our prime is over. The real deal is to still be here.

@leepad5050 The actual feel of ‘regular guy just doing CrossFit’ is a very appealing one. My recently best felt trainings were going to another box, being coached by someone else, someone who doesn’t know me, and just doing my best.

@bonlin Been struggling for few days to keep on going. I program for few people, and they crushing everything right now, and i'm here finding hard to train for myself, but mostly by myself. I know how to make people fit and competitive, but for me it's another question. The new box im training at is very small and always same kind of workout EMOM or kind of max reps gym. 1 month and still no barbell in sight and even less any amrap style. I think its all up and downs, and i have to deal with it. Sorry for sharing the coach bad feeling of the day ahah

@bonlin We’re gonna look back on this high intensity every session as a bit of a mistake. Even some of the ogs have changed their tune regarding intensity and metcons.

Gyms following these comp programs are missing the mark big time.

@jaigner Solid programming (competitive or GPP) accounts for this intensity. If you are doing programming that is constantly telling you to go pedal to the metal, it’s not good programming. If your coach is telling you to go 10/10ths every training session, they aren’t a good coach. Something like Mayhem programming is very detailed in its intention. Not every single training session is balls to the walls high intensity.

Curious what programming you speak of that is always stating to go 10/10ths effort or just a general principle of CF high intensity?

Back