Burnt out, new routine needed

cmoser

I’m 51M. The last 6 months I’ve been doing lifting Sunday,Tuesday, Thursday and interval training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I also do 10K steps per day. Doing interval training as my VO2 Max is super low, and that’s my main goal right now is just to get my cardio level up to average. I get plenty of calories. Sleep is okay, about 6-7 hours per night. Anyway, just feel burnt out and need to change things up. I want to keep working on the cardio. I don’t want to lose my progress on the lifting side. I’m not trying to bulk or cut- just be reasonably fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

@cmoser Take out the HIIT training and put in some Zone 2 cardio - any of your choice. This is what will build your VO2. You’ll get your HR up and stay there. It just sounds like you’re bored. I get it… I totally get that way, too. Z2 cardio can be difficult to do when you are used to or thinking that you need to go ‘balls to the walls’ all the time. There’s a lot of information online about doing it. Jordan Syatt did a YouTube video about it. You can search his channel.

@liz869802 3 days of intervals per week with no aerobic base… no wonder you’re burnt out! If you’re committed to 3 days of aerobic work per week, I’d do 2 days base and 1 day of intervals. Or, 1 base, 1 threshold, 1 interval. That’s totally not the right ratio but it’d be better than what you’re doing now. Work smarter not harder.

@cmoser During COVID, when gyms were closed, the only equipment I had to work with was a jump rope. Since then, it's been my go-to cardio. Aside from the conditioning aspect, which is incredible, it's just fun. Especially when you start learning new tricks and techniques. Check out /r/jumprope

@cmoser Hello there!

Feeling burnt out is tough, but it's also a sign that your body needs a change. How about mixing up your cardio routine with activities like swimming or cycling? They're not just great for your heart, but they can also add some excitement to your workouts.

When it comes to lifting, consider switching to full-body workouts. They'll help maintain your muscle strength without overwhelming you. And don't forget to give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover. Your body will thank you for it!

Remember, it's all about listening to what your body needs and finding what works best for you. So keep it simple, stay open to new things, and you'll bounce back feeling refreshed and ready for anything!