C section and CrossFit

@teevee Okay will do thank you for the advice. I do plan to take it slow, especially with weightlifting but would be nice to get back to my old strength

@flowful My wife joined CrossFit 4 years after c-section for our 2nd son. Maybe not the data point you are looking for but she gave birth at 42 years old.

@flowful I had one 8 months ago. I listen to my body and make modifications as needed. Always leave then ego or “used to be” thoughts out. It’s okay to scale. I follow mainsite workouts, and I am back to lifting my pre-pregnancy weights (and lots of prs). There was a good chunk of time where I used a PVC instead of the barbell. I found squatting was the most difficult post c-section. I tried to reframe my thinking… I have this opportunity to really dial in on my form and start fresh. You got this!!!

@theunissa Uu yes even now I have to control my thoughts and not compare. I too have lost so much strength and endurance since I didn’t work out during pregnancy so technically I was out for a while, so just wanting to get back to it but do it smart and make sure k heal n recover the best I can

@flowful I went back at 6 weeks after my first. I had done CrossFit regularly until about 36 weeks. I avoided pretty much all “core” movements because it felt terrible for months. Running and box jumps also bothered me for a while so I scaled until probably 6 months pp.

If you are breastfeeding your supply will drop when you start to work out so be prepared mentally that. It will regulate though!

Take your time- your body needs to heal.

@sundance5 Yes I agree my body needs to heal and mentally me too since it was not a planned c section. But I’m so happy to hear that eventually with the right care I can go back 😊

@flowful I’m now 1 year post a category 1 emergency section. Full rest other than walking for first 6weeks. Saw a pelvic floor physiotherapist and followed very conservative plan of introduction of movements. Was back to classes at 8weeks with lots of scaling, no Olympic lifting, no ab work and no jumping. Did lots of rehab out of class and introduced olympic lifting at 12weeks with light weight, jumping and running closer to 20 weeks and ab work and kipping movements at 6months.
By 6 months I was back to all movements but low weight and controlled intensity. Have spent the last 6months gradually increasing both of those.
Take your time, prioritise rehab over your ego and wanting to get back into everything quickly.

@flowful Awesome- Great mindset to go in with. I definitely found first 3-4months easy to go slow because I could feel my scar if I overstretched in a particular movement etc. but by month 5/6 I was feeling good with no issues but I just had it in my head from the plan with the physio of when I could introduce jumping/ running and ab work and I just stuck to it. I knew it was likely over conservative since i was doing well but I’m so glad I took my time because it meant I didn’t have any pressure on my self.

@flowful I have had 2 of them in the past 3.5 years and went back to CrossFit and weightlifting both times (after the 6 week recovery period). I started with walking for the first couple of weeks just to work on getting moving (stroller walks with the baby in daylight first thing in the AM helped regulate his sleep pattern). The hardest part was literally sitting up out of a bed for a week as my lower abs & skin tissue were super sensitive. After about 2 weeks I felt ready for some really light work…a few air squats and push ups here and there and general mobility. Now, they say not to pick up “more than 10lbs” for the 6 week post-surgery period and that’s really a warning for making sure you’re not putting more load than your trunk and limbs can handle and quite frankly, the average person that clause is for is not a CrossFit person. There were times I had to pick up my 30lb toddler after a couple of weeks (I made sure my husband did all of that the first 2-4 weeks) but making sure I was using my legs instead of my back/abs to bend over and bracing. I refrained from doing any WODs that involved a barbell, pull up bar, jump rope or just met cons or strength work in general until 6 weeks just to ensure my incisions were fully healed. I did actually start very light jogging with a stroller about a mile every couple days around week 4 since I felt better on my feet but I kept everything to bodyweight (with exception of picking up a car seat, baby or toddler) until 6 weeks.

My first pregnancy I started back with a postpartum recovery plan by MamasteFit that included a lot of abdominal and pelvic floor rehab exercises with bands, deadbugs, bird dogs, and general reconnection with the abs. I thought it was extremely useful feeling reconnected with my midline again as I noticed the first thing that was lost when I picked up a barbell again was feeling my core was very jello and I couldn’t brace or stay as rigid as well as I used to. I supplemented those movements as warm ups most CrossFit days a few minutes before class/workout and I even started the first week of very basic movements of the program around week 4. It took at least a few months (if not a year or more) to feel like I had gotten my core back. Post c-section 2 I seemed to recover a bit quicker after this one but I took a similar timeline to get back to workouts (the first one I couldn’t even lunge without feeling very tight pulling on the lower abs for weeks). I feel most movements take a toll on my lower back (back squats and good mornings are difficult) because my front side isn’t built back strong enough to recover.

It’ll take some time to get back but, one day at a time!! The MamasteFit program movements were well worth it!! I don’t think I had the same level of looseness of the vaginal canal and peeing with jumping/running as women who had a regular birth did which was a plus 😂 but I’ll notice if my abs are really tired depending on the combo of movements in a workout I’ll have a tendency to leak a little.

@mastaplokoon Yeah I need to learn patience, but I rather take it slow then do more damage so definitely going to take into account everyone’s advice of slow and patience and getting a PT

@flowful Hi op! I had a c-section one year and 10 months ago. I have since hit lifetime PRs on several of my lifts and gotten most of my gymnastics back.

Definitely get with a pelvic floor/postpartum physical therapist who also has experience with c-sections. Have them evaluate your diastasis recti, how your scar is healing, and if you labored at all before your c-section it’s worth it to have your pelvic floor checked as well.

There’s lots of great programs out there for reconnecting with your core. You can generally start those before the 6 week mark as long as you’re healing normally and there’s no tugging on your scar.

I did my first “ab” movement (sit ups) at probably 4 months postpartum? I was terrified but it went totally fine!

@lynattechan This is great news! Yes I’m in the lookout for a Pt for pelvic in my area, so far scar is still there and fresh but seems everyday i can stand for longer periods but I have yet to try to go for long walks, maybe once baby hits 4weeks or so we can go walk around neighborhood

@flowful I do! My baby is almost 5 months and I just went back to CrossFit after a year+ hiatus. I unfortunately also gained back a lot of weight on top of being postpartum.
For me, I have just been back to normal. But I also heal fairly quickly and haven’t had any issues. I have had coaches check in on me though to make sure I’m doing okay and remind me to take it slow still to help build up core again.

@misschildfree1970 I have actually lost so much muscle mass it’s crazy I’m super small right now, compared to what I’m used to when I’m in crossfit. My whole pregnancy I was puking til month 6 and baby didn’t like to eat anything and I had insomnia. And now I’m breastfeeding n k here that helps w dropping weight but not sure.

@flowful Look into The Belle Method. She has postpartum programs you can do at home and a lot of the content is aimed towards c sections and diastasis recti. I cannot recommend it enough to heal and improve your core and pelvic floor.

Back