Caloric deficit: yay or nay?

paidiske

I started going to the gym regularly 'bout half a year ago, and while I've felt some progress, I'm not sure I'm going about accomplishing my goals the right way - reading through a bunch of articles online, watching videos, etc. I feel I'm getting conflicting information.

Long story short, I've been fighting depression for a long time, and am now fighting to "get in shape," and get to a point where I feel good about the way my body looks. And as the most cliché goal of all, I'd like somewhat visible abs (I know... I know...).

On the one hand, to lower body fat % and lose weight, you would want to be at a caloric deficit. On the other hand, articles like this one comparing muscle gain in two subject groups, claimed that people at a caloric deficit failed to get any increase in muscle mass.

By my idea, being shape means leanness, but also muscle mass behind that? So what's the strategy here? Is there a sort of "null point" where you're at a caloric deficit, losing body fat, but where you excercise enough and get enough protein that your muscle mass just stays the same?

My current excercise routine, after trying a bunch of different ones, is this set of six ab excercices, followed by 30 mins or uphill treadmill (15% incline, 5-6 km/h as recommended here). Then I'll usually do 3-4 excercises of some other muscle groups, e.g. benchpress, squats, and something for my back.

In latter cases, usually do 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Sometimes only 8 reps if I'm pushing weight higher than usual.

I am, of course, also open to advice/tips in this department.

Thanks for reading!

Ah, and I'm new to the sub, and (due to a variety of funky issues) find it oddly hard to talk about this stuff. Thank you for your understanding.

@paidiske Caloric deficit will help get rid of weight, fat and will help you lose inches. Its really good to do cardio but weights are important because if you want to lose weight(get thinner), you dont want to be thin but with lose or sagging skin and weight is gonna help you look or get fit, strong while looking lean and thin. If you want to lose fat but not necessarily look thinner then maybe you dont need the calorie deficit but you still need to watch the fat and carbs you ingest while doing cardio and weights

@doots 183 cm (6 feet) tall and weighing about 83 kg (183 pounds).

Not certain what other benchmarks you're looking for, as e.g. weight lifted depends hugely on excercise, etc. For instance I can bench press ca. 70 kg (~150 pounds) at 10 reps or so.

W.r.t. body fat, I'm struggling to get a good measure on that; the device I've used seems to have a rather large uncertainty. One week it says 18%, the next 22% (!).

I was actually going to try measuring it every day for a week or so, try to evaluate the uncertainty, because right now I'm not trusting it...

@paidiske You're right in the middle, typically people start cutting for summer but also you want to maximize strength. No wrong answer, just do what you feel.