Cardio Question

asparien

Hi there, fellow vegoons. I’m still relatively new to muscle building and have a question:

I am currently trying to bulk up a little—lifting heavy on a P/P/L with a full rest day at the end of each cycle, eating in a 200 calorie surplus with adequate protein, micros, sleep, etc.

I understand that cardio is incredibly important regardless of varying fitness goals. That being said, I live in a fairly walkable area and (according to a Pedometer) get at minimum 10,000 steps every day with 300+ calories burnt regardless of gym activity.

Does this seem like sufficient enough cardio or should I still incorporate higher intensity activities like running into my routine? If so what do y’all recommend? Thanks!

@asparien High Intensity Interval Training has more benefits in terms of cardiovascular health: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-hiit#benefits

But, I’m a big believer in doing whatever is sustainable, as that will create healthy habits that you enjoy and are more likely to do. If walking works for you you’re still getting a ton of benefits, if you end up liking HITT then that’s great! I personally do HITT three times a week and moderate exercise three times a week, with one rest day.

@asparien This triggers the debate of course of “what counts as cardio”. I have a resting heart rate around 58 BPM, and cardio for me is anything that sustains me above like 110 BPM for duration. I never get anywhere near that walking. But if you do, I’d say it’s hard to argue your heart and lungs aren’t working.

@asparien For cardio (conditioning) I think of it as a "get out of breath excercise".

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on doing uphill sprints with a sandbag; the idea is to get myself used to being winded and gasping for breath so I can push harder with the weights.

@asparien 200 calorie surplus is not enough, I would increase to 500-700. You can always cut excess fat a little later but 200 calorie surplus is going to limit your potential gains.