Is my cardio routine efficient for weight loss?

@servant52 Just walking the dog around the neighborhood… going to get coffee as a walk instead of driving making the huge loop back to my house and walking around the neighborhood school track a few times then back home. Guess we could call it “urban exploring” but it’s all relatively flat and on the sidewalk. Don’t know how much “hiking” it is walking to the coffee shop and back.

@itjesus The distance you’re walking is considered vigorous and thus would DEFINITELY be considered hiking. Which is great! You’re far more active than someone who just “walks”. You down playing your fitness gains is humble yet funny at the same time. 😂

That’s A LOT to walk on a daily basis. I commend you.

@servant52
The distance you’re walking is considered vigorous and thus would DEFINITELY be considered hiking. Which is great! You’re far more active than someone who just “walks”.

No one draws the distinction between hiking and walking like that.

@servant52 I'm not sure why you're getting so much guff for this. I think the cardio is a great compliment for your weight loss goals... I don't disagree with a lot of the other posters (and it doesn't sound like you don't either), my understanding is that diet is a bigger part of a weight loss solution than exercise, but my understanding was never that cardio was anything other than direction-of-goodness for weight loss goals. I'm skeptical of the posts I saw from others in this thread about how doing cardio is going to lower your BMR, but even if they are true, doing a little cardio is good for me mentally and physically, so I plan to keep at it...

@servant52 I appreciate the edits explaining that you're also eating in a deficit. What were trying to say is that the exercise doesn't matter. It's not part if fat loss. If you eat 2 sour patch kids, you'd need to run a lap around a track to burn it off. If you add mayo to a sandwich, that's 2 and a half miles of running. If you use ranch rather than a 30 calorie vinaigrette, that's 2-4 miles.

You're explaining a training modality in depth that does not impact your goal, and asking if it's the best way to reach your goal. If you like biking, cool. If you like walking with the dogs, cool. If you want to lose weight, going from 30 minutes of cardio/walking/whatever to an hour a day - from 6000 steps to 10,000 - will help, but cardio is for heart health, not weight loss.

Here's an example of what we're hearing and why we're confused. "I'm trying to build my deadlift. I do curls three times a week. The first session is 3x5 barbell curls and 3x10 hammer curls. The second workout I do 6x10 preacher curls and adjust the weight each set so I'm always failing at 10 reps. The third workout, I do 21s where I do 7 full reps, then 7 top half partials and 7 bottom half partials, but I've been hearing about stretched partials recently. Is this curl routine most efficient at getting a bigger deadlift?" Is that curl routine good? Yah, but for bicep growth. Bicep improvement isn't going to hurt my deadlift, but there's a fundamental misunderstanding if I'm doing that curl routine in order to get a bigger deadlift. In order to improve my deadlift, I should 0robably deadlift. Cardio is not weight loss. Calorie control via food prep is weight loss. Cardio is for cardio.