Changes n blood pressure?

jash

Hi Guys,

I went in for a yearly checkup because I have ADHD And use concerta 36 mg for almost a year now. Meanwhile, I also started my weight train journey 3-4 months ago and I gained some weight.

I've always had low blood pressure (all ladies of my dad's side of the family have this) and I don't weigh a lot. I gained 2kg since I started training and I also changed up my diet. I went from standard healthy vegan (lots of whole foods) to basically the same thing but also counting and focusing on adding more protein.

Don't be startled, I've been like this for forever.. My BP used to be 79 over 56 and now it is 100 over 60. Is that healthy to have gained in comparison to how low it was before? I got startled 10 mins before I got my checkup because a truck almost ran into my small car. Not sure if that also had an effect.

@jash Gaining weight, weight training, and eating healthier are all factors that could be the cause of your blood pressure rising. Depending on your height, weight, and age your blood pressure range can be different than the standard 120/80. For me, my range is 110/70 since I’m a smaller woman and young. Eating more and building muscle is probably what it is, but I’m no doctor or physician. You do not want your blood pressure to be “too low” either. I would ask your primary physician about this change if you are really worried about it.

@jash The last line explains it all. If you were in a stressful/anxious situation minutes before then yes, your blood pressure would spike and take time to come down.

If this is the first time it’s ever been higher than normal I wouldn’t worry. Blood pressure ranges can also change with age etc. Yours sound like it might be higher for you but still with in normal ranges.

@jash I wouldn’t worry about that. If your doctor wasn’t overly concerned I wouldn’t worry about it. A 1 time higher than normal reading is very very normal due to many reasons. If you are concerned call your doc and chat with them about it.

Last time I went to the doc and they measured mine it came back as slightly high for the first time ever and when I told them I get anxious being at the doctors and had just walked up 6 flights of stairs cause the elevator in the building was broken they were like “oh! Yup totally makes sense. We will just measure next time you come and make sure this doesn’t become a pattern”

Yours wasn’t even high just elevated from what it was in the past so there really is no reason to be concerned. Depending on how old you are this could also just be a product of lifestyle adjustments & age.

@jash This is a very common side effect of Wellbutrin. But any concerns like this should definitely be brought up to your doctor as the Internet is not really a safe place for medical advice.

Back