Confirming Target Calories

jonathanedwards

After training for 2 years with slow progress, I've finally given in to tracking calories.

I used Calculator.net's Calorie Calculator and I just wanna make sure these numbers are correct

Age32
GenderM
Height6'5"
Weight245lbs (down from 260!)
Activity LevelActive: daily exercise or intense exercise 3-4 times/week*

Q
A

* BJJ 3-4x per week (super intense cardio), lift 1-2x per week, 2mi nightly walks after dinner

That came back with this:

Maintain weight3377
Mild weight loss (0.5 lb/week)3127
Weight loss (1 lb/week)2877
Extreme weight loss (2 lb/week)2377

Outcome
Calories

So now that I've actually been tracking calories, I'm targeting 2400 calories per day. Does that sound right? Do I also need to do the Zig Zag diet that's mentioned there on the results?

@jonathanedwards Hey man, Personal trainer and Health and wellness coach here.

First of all, You've gotten to where a lot of people stop. Doing the initial work to understand how much you need to eat for you level of activity is crucial to understanding your nutritional needs. Great effort and commitment on your part dude.

Like some people mentioned here, 2lbs a week is on the higher end of weight loss goals. It is aggressive but doable if you are able to maintain your energy levels and not feel fatigued doing it. If that is you, stick with it until you reach your goal.

If you want to dive even deeper, weight yourself daily in the morning and track it for that week. At the end of the week, average it out and see where you are at because your weight weight can vary by day.

For your weight and height I would say 2500 calories a day sounds about right, see how you feel energy wise and if you feel low on energy, increase calories by maybe 5-10%. Remember this is a process of patience and experimentation.

Alright man, best of luck and reach out if you need any help! Keep crushing it!

@jonathanedwards Sounds right for 2lb, but indeed that's 'extreme'. Given your activity level I'd probably eat closer to the 1lb/week to maintain my strength and sport performance. I don't fuck with zig-zag dieting, it doesn't really matter. Just try to make your average daily calories hit your target at the end of the week/month and you'll succeed.

@jely I agree. Also, I'd say make sure to give it time before you make changes. Try 2400 for 2 weeks and prioritize protein. It's ok to be a little hungry sometimes, but if you are starving, add 100 calories of something and see how you do. I was hungry at nights till I added a shake before bed, and that helped me meet my protein goals and feel full.

@jonathanedwards Those estimates look close enough. However, 2400 calories is going to be brutal at your height and activity level. You’re going to feel miserable and be at risk of losing muscle. I’d give 2900 a try for a few weeks.

@jonathanedwards Science is very straightforward: exercising doesn't help to lose weight, period.

Activity levels don't affect the amount of calories a human body burns on average. If you typically burn 3000 kcals and start doing exercise that requires 500 cals, you won't be burning 3500. Your body will readjust and will have the energy expenditure at 3000 (by tweaking body temperature, changing response to inflammation, etc). What only matters is a systemic light calorie deficit. Check out http://penguinrandomhouse.com/books/603894/burn-by-herman-pontzer-phd/

The most reliable and practical way to estimate the amount of calories you need is a bio-impedance analysis. Clinics have advanced devices to measure, simpler option are the smart scales with steel pads that pass tiny current through your body to check its composition. I've got one from Xiaomi, it did cost like $20, sends data to Apple Health.

Your numbers seem to be high, my nutritionist (an academic scientist in the field at the govt. institution) gave me, a guy with a similar weight and height, a BMR estimate of 2269 kcal a day and put me on a 1500 kcal/day diet.

@jonathanedwards Try lying on the couch the whole day, you'll still get hungry as well. We need certain amount of calories to breathe, pump blood and maintain body temperature regardless of activity.

What prof. Ponzer (a guy who's actually pioneered the most accurate method to measure how we burn food and fat) writes is that our bodies have "constrained energy model". An American office clerk and an African hunter-gatherer tribesman who walks 20 miles a day burn the same amount of calories. If you add exercise, the body will readjust, keep the energy expenditure roughly on same level, sacrificing something else. It isn't like exercise is useless (it greatly improves the quality of life!) - but it is just impossible to out-train the bad diet.

My main point is that online calculators are not reliable. The best approach is to track food (kitchen scales and apps like FatSecret or myFitnessPal to the rescue), and to pinpoint the level where you are in a tolerable calorie deficit that leads to constant weight loss. The 3127 kcal guideline you've got, although, looks very questionable for guys of our composure. The real number you should aim is around or under 2000 kcal.

@agueli My expenditure went up about 850 calories a day when I started seriously lifting, so this would highly contradict my experience and the experience of nearly everyone who has gone to the weight room consistently

Back