Constantly feeling sleepy since I started working out more regularly

@aj007 I absolutely relate on "always yawning" 🤣 if I don't find what's causing this I might just have to accept that this is going to be my new normal lol

@maxman1180 Honestly I think this is normal. I started off about the same as you (same height, age, and starting weight) and it’s gotten better as time goes on.

Strength training puts your body in a constant state of repair, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but a good chunk of your energy is now being diverted to developing muscle and burning fat. Your body uses sleep to repair itself.

Strength training also weakens your immune system a bit—not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.

Are you going super hard at the gym? Do you eat immediately after a workout? Working out then eating before going to class makes me extremely sleepy.

@iamsuperb I appreciate this explanation so much!! Thank you!! Makes a lot of sense. I've never even considered that burning fat and building muscle also takes up energy. Pretty cool stuff!!

I'm honestly not sure what would be considered as going super hard at the gym-- I can say that it's enough to challenge me and I do feel a little hungry and tired afterwards, but I don't think it's too intense. I get some DOMS but not to the point where I can't move certain parts of my body the next day. I also eat before and after workouts.

@maxman1180 What’s your protein intake like? If you’re gyming a lot and your muscle aren’t getting what they need to heal then you will deffo be feeling sleepy!

@omah1970 I try to eat at least 80 grams of protein per day minimum. Most days I manage to hit that, although I do admittedly struggle with balancing my macros from time to time. 😅

@maxman1180 Maybe try increasing that to 100 odd and see how you get on? Though if you’re not hitting 80 consistently maybe find a way to hit that goal first before increasing! Personally I go straight for protein shake as it’s the easiest to get a lot without going crazy on calories.

@chux7 I'm out quite often, so I don't really have the opportunity to take naps, unfortunately. But I think it would do wonders for that midday slump when I'm at home 😄

@maxman1180 A month is likely not long enough to adapt to the increase in physical rigor, especially if you’re progressively lifting heavier weights. I still need to program in extra sleep (9-10 hours) around heavy lifting days, and it’s been years.

@maxman1180 When I stepped up my workouts to 6 days a week, I was falling asleep all over the place! I stopped feeling sleepy once I drastically upped my protein intake (usually just with a protein shake after a workout). My marathoner friend told me to eat as much as I can as soon as possible after a workout and it mostly worked

@maxman1180 100% but I'm in a cut, running daily, lifting 5x a week, and eating a 500 calorie deficit, really if we're including the exercise, more than 500. I am tired (not just physically, sleepy as fuck) all the time. Dr. Mike (I can't spell the last name) Isratel says this all the time, when you up your physical activity, your body compensates by trying to make you conserve energy. In our case it may seem that we just feel like taking naps. By the way. I just woke up from a nap.