Correct Progressive Overload and Training til Failure

promiseb

So for context, I have a 3-day split:

M - Chest/Tri/Shoulders

W - Legs/Abs/Forearms

F - Back / Biceps

Average workout time of 2 hours, 4 sets each, and treadmill last (3.8 mph on 11 incline).

I've been incorporating progressive overload and trained til failure ever since I started which was 4 months ago.

Main Problem:​

But, recently, I can't complete my sets since I'm too tired. Like what happens is every week, I try to go up a notch and try a heavier load. For example:

Monday - Dumbbell Bench Press:
  1. 30 lbs x 18 reps
  2. 35 lbs x 14 reps
  3. 40 lbs x 11 reps (Heavy but bearable if I give it my all)
  4. 40 lbs x 9 reps
Next Session (for that body group) - Dumbbell Bench Press:
  1. 35lbs x 18 reps
  2. 40 lbs x 14 reps
  3. 40 lbs x 10 reps (Heavy but bearable if I give it my all)
  4. 40 lbs x 8 reps
I could lift the 40 lbs (each arm) but this affects my other workouts since I've already used alot of my strength just to incorporate Progressive Overload and Training til Failure. This applies to all of the body groups that I'm trying to hit.

I want to be able to do all of my sets while still feeling like I gave my all (EMPHASIS). What should I do? I'm willing to lower the weights if it means being able to have CORRECT PROGRESSION.

@promiseb This isn't progressive overload.

Progressive overload is done week to week or training day to training day. Your body doesn't know how much it's lifting it just now the relative effort and intensity you're asking it to do. Increasing load from set to set often does nothing and if your form is poor then it does more harm than good. If form is poor then your target muscle wont be challenged and the set is wasted.

30x18 35x14 40x11 and 40x9 are probably all the same if you stop at failure or close to it. If you stayed at 35 the whole time and brought it close to failure with good form then parehas lang ang stimulus. Hindi better ang 40. Ang alam lang ng katawan mo is the effort and intensity you give. Kung unstable at poorly performed ang 40 vs 35 then you're wasting a set.

If a progeam is done right then weekly progress is almost expected IF nutrition is done well.

I suspect that your progress is poor or slow because either you have poor form on heavier loads or you have poor sleep and nutrition or both.

@promiseb Try to perfect the others first like sleep , nutrition and form. If its still the same, do a deload week, where you lift lighter with fewer sets and higher RIR. Dr. Mike Israetel has a great video on how to deload properly.