I hate to say it…all of the pull-up advice on this sub is 100% correct

@q490264 Sorry, I was talking about "dropping"! There are some issues with bands but the bigger issue is to always make sure you're doing controlled movement with shoulders engaged.

@q490264 So, especially the "stronger" bands, if you are incorrectly using them, which happens even for correct usage when some folks get tired, or if the thing breaks, it can snap back and smack the absolute crap out of you! Testicles have been lost, concussions and knockouts have happened, and cases of dislocations and strangulation from the knocked out folks or just people dismounting improperly. I used to work at a rock gym where folks did a lot of pull up training and one of the team folks got really hurt while using a band. She missed a big comp for her recovery and they banned them at the gym.

@christiancosmos So because sometimes people get hurt using a particular type of equipment that means it shouldn’t be used? Some people get hurt deadlifting, that doesn’t mean nobody should deadlift. I’m not trying to be contrary, but I don’t see any reason why bands can’t be a great aid for those who can’t yet do pull-ups or negatives.

@ashleye23 Congrats! Honestly, that is all it takes. I did negatives and arm hangs and got my first 3 consecutive pullups within a couple months. Then got up to 13 within the year just doing pullups every time I passed the bar.

@ashleye23 Thanks for this! I've been doing negatives consistently for the past year, but only once or twice a week. I've definitely gotten stronger and better at negatives, but now I realize maybe I need to increase my frequency to get that first pull up. How many negatives/how slow did you do them each day?

Back