Damaged shoulder from push press

riccardoj

After a long time without kB training (I was doing more running, and weights at the local gym) We had a small group session which had these exercises:
Swings w both hands 2mins non stop
Swings with one hand then the other 1 min each
Push press 1 min each hand

I did ask those with a 12kg kB. Which, used to be easy weight. I normally focus on the 16kg one when I'm deep into frequent kB training.

Well anyway the single hand push presses have caused Sharp pain in my front deltoid which only appeared the next evening after putting some clothes in the closet...

Anyone else experienced similar pain ?

@riccardoj No. However as a point of safety I never go a minute nonstop with something like the push press. Small muscles can give out and cause injuries. With the program I am doing I do push presses only on Wednesdays and its a double push press for 5 reps per set. Setting the bells down and then recovering.

I am weary of any program that consists of people, especially people who may be new, fresh, or getting back into it for time. GS folks spend a lot of time and energy learning techniques to avoid injury because they have to succeed at their sport.

Take it easy for a week, there may be a point in which you want to see out PT.

@anonymousgirl26 This. The programming sounds like a recipe for disaster - especially if you're not properly acclimated.

I have tweaked my shoulder on the strict press so it's possible - and it's usually come with too high volume/reps because when fatigue sets it it's harder to keep good form throughout.

@riccardoj If you sit at a desk or anything like that, you can easily lose the required joint capacity for overhead pressing in short periods of time. If I haven't done my T-spine or scap mobility for a few days, I'll notice a difference in range of motion and wear if I'm pressing a lot.

Sounds like a) you need to rest for a week or so and see if it goes back to normal, and b) don't just jump into a workout like that if you haven't been working out similarly in a while.

I personally think shoulder, knees, and ankles require daily mobility work to keep proper joint capacity, thanks to excessive sitting, bad shoes, and then working too hard in the gym. Even if you're not training KBs often, it only takes 5 minutes a day really to do some basic mobility work like CARs.

But rest is key now that you hurt something.

@riccardoj I would suggest you start doing some Mobility drills, opening up your Thoracic, everything is connected, also not activating your lats plays a huge part. Do some Zenith Rotations daily with hand behind the head, then move your hand down to your lower back do 10 both sides 2-3 times daily,
also start doing some lat activation drills with a band or a very light DB throughout the day. Start working on your shoulder flexion arms overhead no weight, also some very light DB windmills or light KB. Bottoms up presses (light weight) are excellent for shoulder stability. So here's a routine you can do daily it will only take around 15-20mins but is well worth it in the long run. If you need more help feel free to ask, I can put a routine together for you :)

@riccardoj Look into shoulder impingement and swimmer's shoulder, in all likelihood you're doing the exercise from an incorrect position, and a tendon is experiencing wear as a result. If that is the case, you now have tendonitis, which takes longer to heal than a sore muscle.

The suggestions about mobility and anti- shrugging to engage the lat both work toward fixing that problem. Do the mobility now, but don't do any overhead press until every hint of pain is gone. Even unweighted work like painting a ceiling could aggravate it, if it is what I think it is.

In terms of strength, W pose dead hangs from a pullup bar, and support pose on paralell bars or rings are great. If you have a counter with a 90 degree angle, or a deck with a railing, the corner may be a good spot for support pose. Just hold yourself up on straight arms. Try for 60 seconds total- maybe 20 seconds for the first set, then 15, 15, and ten. There may be a tendency to shrug the shoulders forward, focus on keeping the shoulder blades together, and down.

@jim35215 Thank you so.much for your valuable advice :) I will wait till it heals completely, it's already much better. Will also try the w pose, and I have a pull-up bar at home so will dead hang as well.