Deadlift alternative - avoid back pain

bandan

Hi.

I’m currently following r/fitness’s absolute beginner workout.

I haven’t been to the gym in a few years and I was always able to deadlift but now I get a sharp back pain.

I stopped doing them, because my gym doesn’t have a trap bar. I’m waiting for a doctors appointment to see what he has to say.

However, until I get my appointment, what other exercise could do instead? I go to the gym solely for health reasons, if this makes any sense and has any importance at all.

Thanks.

@bandan Isometric deadlift executed from the lowest point. Ramp up slowly, hold for 30 seconds minimum, breathing throughout. Try to exert about 50-70%, work up to a max effort if pain free.

@bandan Does your gym have a belt squat (like the Rogue Rhino for example)? Could try that out and see how it goes. Doing deadlifts with them looks kinda awkward so I don’t know if it would be as effective as a trap bar which you said your gym doesn’t have.

@bandan Are you doing any dynamic stretching? The key for me is loosening up my hammies and glutes and hips. Definitely see a doctor, maybe get some PT to work on your overall mobility and core strength.

@bandan You don't have to do deadlifts of they're not working for you right now. Any other sort of hip hinge will do. However, the fact that you used to be able to do them without issue definitely suggest that you should go and see a decent sports physio (not just a GP or general pop physio) and get the issue diagnosed.