Why is my squat better than my deadlift?

@dawn16 I’ve been doing 5x5 so I was trying to pace myself each set, but it seems maybe I can go higher! That’s encouraging to hear about your squat progress. Thank you!

@carltonh Echoing that if you work on your deadlift setup, I think you’ll see the weights fly up! You definitely have the strength to pull more even now. Another commenter suggested your hips start too low, and that does seem to be the case—it’s pushing your knees forward over the bar in your starting position, which is blocking your bar path. Basically, your initial wedge is kinda scrunched.

Also can’t tell if you’ve got really long legs or if the video is just making it seem that way…if you do, I’d search for specific form/setup tips for that to help you find your optimal initial wedge.

And ultimately, don’t worry! A month and a half is nothing. Keep recording yourself and tweaking your form until you find the sweet spot of safe/effective and right for your body’s levers. I was like a year and a half in when someone taught me how to take the slack out of the bar before standing, and that immediately added like 25 lbs to my deadlift—which is to say, it’s always a bit of an ongoing process :)

@mam2011 On a conventional deadlift executed with good technique the bar starts over mid foot which literally makes your knees be above the bar. I DL conventional and I love it. I am also a maniac when it comes to technique as good one allows you to lift a lot more. I have legs for days but I still pull decent numbers after only a year of powerlifting. The OP has exactly the form and techniques I do, there is nothing wrong with it. People with long legs start with their hips lower, that does not mean they squat the weight. OP should focus on variations that help with the bottom part of her DL, that would be deficit deadlifts. The moment she will hit her max weight that she has now for deficit she will be able to pull at least 15kg more off the ground in a conventional pull.

@mam2011 I’ve never heard the term initial wedge before, but you’re definitely right it’s scrunched! And yes I do have pretty long legs I’ll look up tips for that.

Thanks so much :)

@carltonh As someone with femurs longer than my 6’2” partner’s (I’m 5’8”) I switched to sumo years ago and never looked back. It’s a game changer for me. I couldn’t fit my body into a conventional deadlift stance without putting too much strain on my back and needing to bend my knees so much that my lifts would hit a wall. Now I’m almost back to my PR of 2 reps at 235lb which I am pretty ok with since I’m a casual lifter and only 135lb. I would absolutely recommend giving sumo a shot if you have long legs like me.

@carltonh No thankfully not... but if you’re not used to lifting sumo you’d probably have to drop down in weight a lot to have the new muscles you need for the movement catch up. But the gains will come very quickly and you can work your way back up to what you were pulling conventional in no time!

@carltonh Great work so far. But I think your deadlift setup could use some work. It looks like your hips are starting low and the bar also looks like it is away from your body.

I like this 5 step setup video from Alan Thrall

I think if you get and keep the bar over your midfoot you will have an easier time adding weight.

@dawn16 Hips starting position depends on your proportions, usually people with long legs will have their hips higher than people with short legs. Alan himself mentions in his videos that your shoulders should stay on top of the bar. If OP would lift her hips this would cause her shoulders to shift forward in front of the bar. Another thing to add is that the higher you keep your hips the more you will use your back to lift the weight. I understand the point about not squatting your deadlifts, but I don't think it's completely the case here.

@christ148 this is correct. i’m 5’5, about 150, long legs short torso. my pr stats are intermediate. my starting position looks similar to ops in terms of hip height. this thread must be so overwhelming to a beginner because there is good advice, mixed in with well-meaning but not necessarily correct advice, and bad advice. what i believe might be happening and this is very slight on the downward movement op is moving bar toward floor too quickly before hips have a chance to bend and move knees out of the way. the movement is generally correct, but this may be causing the smallest alteration in straight bar path if you watch closely, the bar has to move a bit around the knees. the worst thing that could happen from this is bruised knees, its not a huge deal and can be fixed with practice. any bracing cues with lats and chest will certainly help and are good feedback generally speaking for pulling weight but starting hip position literally looks fine.