Deadlift form check (115 lbs, 135 lbs)

james512

Hello! I'm getting back into lifting after a long hiatus and this time around want to really nail down my form from the start. Could I get some feedback on my deadlift form please? I do conventional deadlift and don't wear shoes since I only have thick-soled running shoes. I also use mixed grip since my grip isn't strong enough and when I try overhand I can only get a few reps at higher weights. Should I invest in straps or is mixed grip ok? I filmed two sets both of which were 10 reps: 115 and 135. I also did 145 2 sets x 10 reps after this but didn't film those unfortunately. Thanks :)

Here is 115 lbs x 10

Here is 135 lbs x 10

@james512 I echo other comments here about your hips so I won't repeat them but offer other thoughts to help you 🙂

Think of a deadlift as a push exercise rather than a pull, so you can get in the mindset of pushing your heels into the ground in order to raise the bar.

Another thing I'd recommend is improving your grip strength. There are tons of exercises out there to help with that- I can recommend some to you or a quick Google search can five you some ideas. Don't go with straps quite yet and try to work on a double overhand grip with the weight you're moving.

You're doing well overall, keep the momentum going! 😁

@james512 Re: grip. I would recommend straps or hook grip. I find it helps tremendously with being able to set my lats and keep my back straight. I just PRed my deadlift at 295lbs with hook grip. It’s murder on the thumbs at first, but then it’s a much stronger grip. You can try doing it just on warmup sets at first until your grip strength catches up.

If you do use mixed grip, make sure to switch hands each set.

@james512 Mixed grip is fine. Straps are fun to use once in a while. I don't want to become dependent on a piece of equipment I could so easily forget at home.

@james512 When you drop it you want to drop t all in one motion. Just like how you pick it up all in one motion same thing for drop. Once you got thag you’ll be good

@james512 Head should be in a neutral position. So not looking forward. Head should align with spine. So where your head is when standing straight looking forward. Usually I pick a spot on the floor to look at. Another thing that my coach did since I was bad at this was put a tennis ball under my chin to hold and do a deadlift (I was using a lighter weight).

Biggest thing is no hip hinge. Stand with feet at shoulder width or narrower. Bend your knees slightly, soft knees. And just lean/hinge to reach towards the ground, until you cant. When you reach that point then you can squat down.

Coming up, squat up until that earlier point, then hinge up.

@james512 Get your glutes into it on the ascent! My coach cued me to think of pushing the earth straight down until the bar is at your knees and then get your hips under you, squeezing your glutes and bringing your hips forward to meet the bar at the top. This will strengthen your lockout and help keep you moving dynamically through the movement at heavier and heavier weights. Keep kicking ass!!!

@james512 A few tips that others haven't mentioned. As you work to hinge at the hips, lower your gaze a bit. Don't look so straight forward, this will help you avoid over extending your neck, but also make the hinging motion feel more natural. As with your grip, try a hooked grip before moving to straps. Developing a strong grip is one of the main benefits of deadlifting, I know it can be uncomfortable, but it will be benefitial in the long term. Try to save mixed grip for 85% 1RM and above. And if you do use mixed grip on the regular, switch it up or you risk causing imbalances.

@james512 Just commenting to say hi fellow Quebecer! I also go to Econofitness, although not the same location. It's not the best gym for lifting but it's cheap and has all the basics! Just wish there was a separate deadlift platform eh?

@james512 You're doing a clean deadlift. The shoulders are above the bar vs in front & the hips are lower. It's functionally more similar to a squat. I would look up "conventional deadlift start position" and really nail that down first.

@james512 When you come down don’t control the weight. Just let it fall. When you lower it slowly you risk back problems. Your spine looks good, straight and neutral. Here is a good video that explains form more. It helped me quite a bit.

Also, check your footing. Make sure your shins are touching the bar when you reach for it. You should see the laces of your shoes on the other side of the bar when you’re standing over it. That will help some with the bar dragging over your knees. When your feet aren’t totally under the bar your knees will go forward when you reach down to set up for the lift.

And straps I just use when I go over my body weight. I try not to depend on it too much so I can build up grip strength. I’m sure you’re near you body weight so straps could be a good boost in comfort. Use them if they help you but don’t abuse lifting aids, they take away from the body’s natural ability.

@james512 You have next to no hip hinge like others have said. I used to have whacking great bruises on my knees because I lowered the bar similar to you.

As well as a lack of hip flexion, I think it can feel scary when you first try to break at the hips because you feel like you will unbalance and fall backwards. Look up and practise romanian deadlifts and goodmornings. These two rely majorly on the hip hinge movement,and will build your confidence, flexion and stability.

@zero1 Oh my gosh my knees and shins are destroyed from DLs! I've been too embarassed to even wear shorts or skirts this summer so far. I thought it just came with the exercise but if changing my form helps that's great news thank you!

@james512 I think some amount of bruising is normal, but my whole front thigh was marked from the bar dragging down, and ExTreMe bruising just above my knees. Since I worked on my form a persitantly, my legs look passable again with a slap of fake tan!

@zero1 Seconding the good mornings (and RDLs)! Once I really felt the good morning motion "click" -- my hip hinge with neutral, braced back, and glutes and hammies engaging and pulling me up from the bottom of the lift -- I forever had that mind-muscle connection.

@james512 agree with other comments abt issues w the lowering phase. for grip have u tried chalk? i thought i had awful grip for a while but it was just Sweaty Slippery Palms. hook grip may also be sth to try. using straps is perfectly fine tho, just suggesting other alternatives bc i rly dont like they feel

Back