deadlift/squat form and anatomy

deepblues36

I noticed that I lean forward at the bottom of a back squat (however, I am able to stay straight with a front-loaded squat- why is this??). After doing some research I believe I have what is called hip retroversion, which makes squatting in a wider stance with toes pointed out more optimal for maintaining a straight bar path, which does seem to be true. I've also noticed more glute engagement with toes pointing out.

Now my question is regarding deadlifts. When I do heavy conventional deadlifts my lower back tends to round slightly. The weight moves smooth and quickly but I can’t get my back to stop rounding. Could this rounding have anything to do with hip retroversion? I’ve been frustrated with my conventional deadlift form for a long time, it would be nice to know that it is the fault of my anatomy.

I have noticed that I get a lot more hamstring engagement when doing deadlifts with dumbbells where I am able to move the weight almost directly under my body as opposed to grazing the shins. I imagine a trap bar deadlift would be ideal for me, but alas I don't have access to one, any other suggestions for deadlift/squat variations so I can keep good form for maximum engagement/safety. Thank you kindly.

Edit: Video of a squat: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j5Lau5GfsHYx0RYhUUGcGxLBqQd5e_Qp/view?usp=sharing

Video of deadlift: https://photos.app.goo.gl/L11vFKz9rNUt8N2m6

@deepblues36 Exact same thing for me. Retroversion hips.

Same thing with squat I found lower bar squat works much better and feet angled out. I had to blow my hip joint and learned the hard way to find out straight feet squats no good for me, and then trial and error over time learned the wide stance works for me.

My deadlift is exactly the same as yours. Back rounds at the end. Wondering if I need a wider stance it's something to do with hip rotation. Had coaching but not been able to solve yet and it's frustrating.

Would love more comments on this post to learn from others who have solved the best deadlift stance for retroverted hips.

I feel so gawky doing deadlifts and have done stacks during 6 years of CrossFit.

@deepblues36 I have struggled with exactly the same issues as you, so I’ll tell you how they were resolved for me. However, this is obviously my own experience only and I’m not a professional, so please be careful if you decide to try this out.

Deadlifts: Once I started standing with my feet facing forward and really close together (perhaps 20cm apart), I stopped rounding my back. It was like magic. No idea about the biomechanics behind it, but it works for me.

Squat: I was told to put my hands closer to my shoulders when gripping the bar (I previously had a pretty wide grip) and do low-bar squats. With this technique, I no longer tip forward.

@deepblues36 Please post a video form check if you want feedback. If you are not comfortable with that, then reach out to a local certified personal trainer or coach. There are many, many reasons these things could be happening and without seeing we cannot advise.

@deepblues36 Looking at your squat, it appears you are naturally doing a low bar variation. This is absolutely OK and necessitates a deeper bend forward in the squat. The width of your feet and placement is very much related to personal preference and body mechanics. (I also need a wider stance myself). Overall your video just has 1 rep, but it looks decent. You hit depth, I don't see caving in your core, your feet look planted. I believe you're really just noticing the difference between front vs back squat and how your own body mechanics play a role. Edit to add that your bar path isn't vertical, it does shift, bracing your core with more intention will likely help here as well.

Your deadlift, I don't love. As you wrote, your back rounds. What I don't see prior to your first rep is a focused engagement of your back and core. You should be setting yourself up, engaging your lats and core, and then performing the lift. Engaging the lats feels similar to if someone tickles your armpits, how you tighten your back up and bring your arms closer in to "block" the area. This also forces you to straighten your back and tighten the lower back area as well. Your bar path is relatively far from your body as well. Long legs vs short torso can make it tricky, but the bar should be as close to your body as possible throughout the lift, lightly rubbing your shins, touching your thighs. I don't see the bar make contact until you are fully locked out on top. Focus on those two items first and see how it feels.

Also, lower the weight and lose the belt. Until you have the proper engagement and form down, the belt isn't helping anything. We don't use belts to remove back pain, we use them to help brace heavy weight.

@deepblues36 Without seeing your form, it's impossible to say if these things are related. But, as you have already started to discover, the best form for each exercise is extremely unique to each individual based on their particular anatomy and biomechanics. It may be that a slightly wider conventional stance is better for you.

With regard to your squat question, a lean at the bottom of the squat may also indicate that you should also try a lower bar position (goes along with a wider stance). Obviously when you change where the bar is on your body, how your body moves through the squat will change. You don't need to lean forward when front squatting because the bar is already in front of you, and if anything you need to remain more upright to keep it over your center foot.

Consider for the lower back rounding question - are your spinal erectors doing more work than they ideally should in a deadlift? Are they not strong enough relative to the weight you're pulling? Are you actually seeing a straightened/flat lower back that is safe and good practice vs a rounded lower back? Is it actually your lower/lumbar spine that is rounding, or is it actually mid-back/thoracic rounding you're seeing, which would indicate lack of lat engagement or strength?

Also consider - if your squat is better with toes out and a wider stance, you may similarly benefit from trying a sumo deadlift. Again, I can't tell you anything without seeing your squat and deadlift form, but these are all questions for you to consider since you seem to have enough of a foundation to actually look for these specific things.