Deltoid Training with Calisthenics: A Guide For The Anterior, Lateral, and Posterior Delts

@aus22 I didn't address PEDs in the post, as I felt it wasn't very relevant to the average reader. There are certainly calisthenics athletes using steroids and getting unrealistic results from crap training. If someone has huge delts with no apparent reason, it's suspicious.

I've certainly run across a few influencer types that fall into that category, where their training just does not add up. I will say Dr. Mike Israetel has been very clear what will work for an enhanced vs. un-enhanced athlete, so all the information presented here is going to be useful for naturals.

@aus22 But also, if your testosterone is higher, the same effect will occur, due to the androgen receptor density. (to a smaller degree).

@raykay I only do wall-assisted handstand push-ups, dumbbell lateral raises and band facepulls and my shoulders are my strongest body part

@dawn16 It sounds like you're covering your bases, front delts from HSPU, lateral delts from the lateral raises and rear delts from facepulls. So that seems pretty reasonable.

@raykay Even when I used to hit the gym I only did OHP, lateral raises and facepulls however the better part was changing the variations (e.g: standing barbell ohp, seated db press, arnold press...etc , db lateral raises, lu raises, cable lateral raises...etc) and it was better to track or calibrate progressive overload

@dawn16 That's quite similar to my current regimen actually! I'm not a huge fan of pike presses so I tend to use a pair of heavy kettlebells and some strong bands as well. If you attempt the rings variation of facepulls, they are pretty similar, just with a different resistance curve.

@raykay Very well written post! Thank you!

I have a question about the Rear Delt Row exercise. Wouldn't it be even more effective if the arms were held at 45 degrees instead of 90 degrees? This would bring the exercise almost in line with the 45 degree anatomy of the rear delt.

@artislove It's personal preference, really as long as you you're not keeping the elbows in tight like a normal row, you'll be fine. Anywhere within the range of 45-90 works. Experiment with the angle that feels most comfortable and that you can feel your mid-back and rear delts being stimulated.

Make sure the lats don't take over the movement, if your elbows are in too close it will end up being more lat-focused. On a rigid bar, generally people ending up doing closer to 90 because they can't make small adjustments, rings are freely moving so you can make modifications more easily.

@raykay Yes, I think you are right about the range of angles. I definitely see it worth experimenting with my rings in this regard to find the most effective position. At least the most effective one for me in terms of correct form, comfort and development.

@raykay Late reply, sorry. Dr Mike Israetel discusses how pulling direction with face pulls can make it shift into a more side delt/upper trap exercise. . He pulls the cable from down to low, more similar to an upright row.

Could this be a proper bodyweight variation training side delts? Not sure if my English is good enough to explain how I do it with rings, but I'll try.

I set the rings as low as possible. I stand quite far back, and put my feet against something so I don't slide away. When I lean back and pull, it's like a face pull but pulling from down to up like an upright row.

This is the vid I am referring to:

@raykay Thanks for your reply! I'd say once you have something solid to rest your feet on, it is comfortable. And a bend in the knee helps with getting the right angle (more upright row vs facepull) without making it too dificult.

Since it's in between an upright row and facepull, would you recommend to keep the external rotation part of the facepull in the exercise?

@joannayang External rotation maybe? Depends on if you can maintain enough tension for it to be worthwhile. If it's too easy to provide a stimulus then don't bother.

@raykay So why is it that advanced calisthenics athletes seem to have good lateral and posterior delts if they are just training the and leveling up with the "normal" advanced calisthenic movements and not isolating these muscles?

@londonleah You mean athletes like FitnessFAQs, Austin Dunham, CalisthenicMovement, Simonster, Saturno Movement, and Calisthenics Family?Isolation work for the deltoids and scapula is a staple of advanced calisthenics training. I'd argue it is essential to get to the highest level without risking injury.

https://youtu.be/x8pSRkHn7Xw