DEXA results: 27 F/5'3"/142 lbs/27.4% body fat

122r

/@staywithme suggested I post this and I do what she tells me so:

I decided to get a DEXA scan because over the last few years I have gained 15-20 lbs intentionally and was curious about what that meant for my body composition/health/etc. Also just like interesting data.

Stats: 5'3", 142 lbs, 36"-28"-39" Here is what I look like in spandex (unflexed)

Training: Competitive powerlifter (63kg weight class, best lifts are 290 squat (gym), 160 bench, 330 deadlift). I have a coach who does my programming, which is full body 4x/week. I also bike commute less than 10 miles per day.

Eating: ~2500 cals/day (70f, 310c, 160p). No food restrictions/sensitivities, do most of my own cooking since its cheap, tasty, and easier to count.

Body composition goals: My number 1 goal in this area for the last few years was/is hormonal health. I lost my period back in 2012/13. In these pictures I was probably about 125 lbs with max lifts of 170 squat, 100 bench, and 225 deadlift. I was eating around 1500-1800 calories (plus reactive binging so I never got lean lol) while training for both powerlifting and roller derby. I wish I had a DEXA scan to compare, but as you can see, I was not exceptionally lean or underweight. I was obviously smaller than I am now, but I don't think anyone would look at me there and assume I was undereating to the point of losing my period for over a year. Since then, I have gained weight, both fat and muscle, started menstruating regularly, and considerably improved my strength and quality of life. So any cutting I do in the future will be as slow as possible because I have no desire to feel that way again.

Results:

You can see all the results here but the general breakdown is
  • 37.5 lbs fat (27.4% total, 19.7% android and 28.3% gynoid)
  • 99.4 lbs lean mass
  • 5.5 lbs bone mineral content.
What I gather from this is that my overall body fat is within the acceptable range, and my android/gynoid ratio is also healthy. My bone density is nearly as high as their chart measures, which I'm really happy about because this was something that concerned me when I lost my period. Glad to know my bones made it through that unscathed.

My muscle mass is slightly uneven left to right, but given that I have mild scoliosis and used to play a sport that involves skating in circles counterclockwise, I'm not terribly surprised.

I was hoping to break 100 lbs lean mass but I guess 99.4 is good nuff.

Overall this is pretty much where I expected to be, so glad to know I have a fairly objective view of my body composition. I have some fat I could lose, but it doesn't bother me and I'm generally happy with my appearance. I'd like to continue competing at 63kg, and being leaner at that weight would help me there, but that can happen slowly over time, no rush.

@122r With regards to the bone density:

I just got a DEXA scan this week myself. My bone density results came back good.

I complained to the doctor a few years ago about back pain, and was seeking an Rx for physical therapy. Before writing that for me, the doctor did an x-ray to confirm there was nothing of concern.

The x-ray came back with "fairly advanced disc degeneration issues" and prompted a bone density test. At the time a few years ago, I was 35F. The bone density test diagnosed me with osteopenia and I am to get rechecked in 5 years.

So when the DEXA came back with good bone density results, I queried about it. The response I got was that it was an overall bone density, so I could have great bone density in my skull, but bad bone density elsewhere, like my wrist or a hip.

So, if you have bone density concerns, the moral of my story is to not take the DEXA result as gospel. It may not give the full picture.

@122r
I was obviously smaller than I am now, but I don't think anyone would look at me there and assume I was undereating to the point of losing my period for over a year. Since then, I have gained weight, both fat and muscle, started menstruating regularly, and considerably improved my strength and quality of life.

This. So much this.
I wish I had known that sooner. I should burn this onto my forehead. Way to be strong girl, you are an inspiration.

@122r Thank you so much for posting your DEXA results. Your pictures look great. Can only echo what someone else said already: it's so rare to see pictures of this body type being posted. I'm almost exactly your stats (with much smaller lifts and a higher body fat %) -- I even have scoliosis like you. You've given me hope that I don't have to reach a (for me) impossible 22% body fat to look pretty f'king good.

@122r This gives me such hope. You're slightly smaller (1 inch and 4 lbs) than me, and your lifts slightly higher (what's 100 lbs between friends? Lmao. Except my bench is only 20 lbs behind!), so...yes!

Good job you, looking great.

@122r Also dropping in to say that you look awesome, and it's so exciting and encouraging to see someone w/ this body type posting. I'm 5'1" and hover around 130lbs. I do acrobatics and have a good amount of muscle. Most of the other girls in my height/size range are about twenty to thirty pounds lighter than me. I know I'm not overweight b/c I can see the tags on my pants, but sometimes I wonder where the fuck the weight goes and if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe it's all those dense bones? lol

@122r Thanks particularly for posting the pic of yourself when you lost your period. I have been having an irregular/almost non-existent period but I'm not lean AT ALL (probably around 30%). I always thought it had to do with BF% getting low, I didn't realize people with higher than like 15% BF still can lose their periods.

@dawn16 Also just posting to generally encourage seeing a doctor if this happens to you. It can also be caused by hormonal issues (which sometimes can actually be aided via exercise-- so it's important to know what is causing it). It's super easy to get the bloodwork done and can help avoid ovarian cancer via buildup of uterine lining.

@dawn16 oh absolutely! this was something I struggled with for awhile before I finally committed to eating more! I kept being like "wtf how could it possibly be fitness related, I don't even have abs???". But it doesn't have to be bf% related, it can be from eating at too severe a deficit, not resting enough, or just general life stress that isn't even related to diet/fitness. There can also be other medical causes, so check with your doctor. This is my favorite article on the subject, it provides a good overview.

@122r Thank you so much for that article! I recently got bloodwork done and my thyroid hormones and reproductive hormones were super low (post-menopausal levels), but my body fat isn't that low. I'd been doing intermittent fasting, and I think that is what caused it.

@dawn16 That's really interesting. I',m going through something similar right now and my bloodwork also shows me as a post-menopausal woman even though I am only 30. Did they test you for your AMH level?

@122r My only critique is: damn you and your awesome squat powers!!!

And bench. And deadlift. Anyway I ignore a lot of dexa posts but didn't realize they told you the left/right ratio. That's kinda cool.

@atodestroxia yeah the weirdest thing is according to the technician, the most significant difference is between my arms. my left arm has more lean mass. except I'm right handed and my left arm is slightly weaker on unilateral stuff?? I DON'T GET IT?