Disappointed: weight loss didn’t equal bf% loss

whitab

I had a dexa scan in July that said I was 131 lbs and 37% bf. Ouch. So since then I have lost 14 lbs. I recently bought a Garmin Index smart scale. It says I’m 115-117 and 35-36% bf. I was so disappointed bc I figured losing over ten pounds would make at least a small dent in bf%.

I’m not doing lifting right now, as I am training for cycling with a coach and the need is for speed. I’m thinking at least for now I may have to put my performance goals before my aesthetic goals. I can’t lift heavy 5x a week without compromising the work I’m doing on the bike.

I’m planning to work in some body weight fitness next year.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience of weight loss not making a dent in body comp.

For the record, my coach isn’t concerned. He said everyone is different and the point is to get faster so I can do the events I want to do and have more fun on the bike. I just thought I’d be slimmer by a little by now.

I’m 4’11” and my ultimate weight goal is 105ish. I’d rather be denser but I’m not sure I have the body type for it, and as I said I have a very specific training program now that precludes frequent heavy lifting.

ETA I am definitely smaller - a size 2-4 down from a size 8 — and I am fitter and stronger. Just not harder.

@whitab The index scale and the dexa scan are apples to oranges comparison. You would need to do another dexa scan to get a clear idea of the change in body composition. You must be "slimmer" if you've lost 15 pounds.

@perfpearl My thought was to "reset" and just start using the Index instead of continuing to get dexa scans. So if I just keep going and see a differential, that would be good too. But I take your point, and the point of others here, thank you.

@whitab Typically a dexa scan will reveal a higher body fat percentage than scales.

I can imagine that if you were to get another dexa scan, you will find you've probably reduced your body fat percentage.

I've heard of discrepancies up to 10% difference. The only real way to know is to measure yourself the same way (Dexa) in this case.

Hope this helps.

@whitab I’ve said this a million times before but none of these scans are accurate. All they serve is to make you discouraged and want to quit.

Weigh and MEASURE your body with a tape measure. Those will be your most import data points. If measurements go down, fat is being lost.

@whitab Scales can't measure body fat. The ones that claim to measure body fat are total crap. They're not accurate at all, not even for measuring trends. If you drink a lot of water, the scale will interpret that as increased body fat.

Back