Do any of you just NOT have defined goals?

@mayne70 My goal is to live a long, healthy life with as much mobility and strength as possible. I run, lift, do yoga, and walk a lot. I am healthy and strong. I don’t have goals because I’m internally motivated and don’t need them. I have done marathons before and don’t mind having a temporary goal but it’s too exhausting in the long term.

@mayne70 I used to, but I recently set specific goals. I started out with nothing besides “get stronger” and help my mental health. I still have those goals, but having specific numerical goals I want to reach is a big motivation for me now. They’re not super serious goals and they don’t have a timeline, but pinning something specifically to look forward to has been fun :)

@mayne70 I have some lift goals. I’ll probably stop the goals when I hit them. Overall I just want to be an active 80+ year old and keep my chronic conditions from progressing. I do have some lightweight goals around body fat. But they may never happen/not be possible and that is fine.

@mayne70 Meeee! I just work out because of the mental benefits. I like the feeling of getting stronger but I have no end goal or plan. Usually it works for me but now I've been getting a little bored so I will probably try to incorporate something different soon like martial arts or pilates :)

@mayne70 I just want to do things I find fun that keep me mobile. I have chronic illnesses and a history of addiction, so getting in the ocean everyday helps me stay healthy and manage those conditions. Strong and tone muscles hold everything where it’s supposed to be and I get less injuries. The cold water and exertion reduces my stress levels. It’s just a much better quality of life for me. I love how I look from it too, that’s a nice bonus, but it’s not the goal.

@mayne70 I started getting serious in the gym when I didn't have defined goals anymore. I do it because I enjoy it, and it gives me energy to start my day.

@mayne70 Yea, I exercise because of the health benefits both short and long term.

People in my family that don’t bother to be healthy-ish typically cark it anywhere between 40-60 with a good ol heart attack. Very motivating.

@mayne70 Just consistency at this point. I need to exercise for my mental health, ibs, and to attempt to glide into my hag phase as gracefully as possible; Looking good is a nice cherry on top. It's honestly the only way I can feel good without drugs, legal or otherwise.

@mayne70 I don’t really. I started lifting after leaving PT to manage pain from a physical disability. My only real goal is to keep having more good days and fewer ouchie days. I have a few “just for fun” goals too, like being able to lift my husband one day, or nailing a 200lb leg press by end of year.

I completely avoid goals based on food intake or body appearance. I have an eating disorder history, and I’ve worked hard to mend my relationship with food and exercise. I’m proud of those gains too.

@mayne70 I think that’s just fine. I’ve had times where I have had very specific goals (reach a certain body fat percentage, or hit a new PR, etc). I’ve had other times where my goals were more general (stay consistent, stay healthy). The more fit that you get, the more I think certain goals will need to be more down to earth. What I mean is you can’t have a goal for a squat PR year after year after year if you have been relatively consistent. If it worked that way, you’d get up to like 800 lbs some day as an 85 year old LOL.

Also, the leaner I have gotten, the more I’ve realized how body fat percentage is just a number. I picked a number I wanted to be, and eventually I got there. Don’t get me wrong, I was proud of my results, but I also learned that I picked that percentage as a goal rather arbitrarily. My body shape is still my body shape and that doesn’t change (short torso, broad shoulders).

Now at this point, I’m more about maintaining my size, increasing strength…nothing super specific because I’ve worked so hard to get to where I am. I’m working on my mental health and the body dysmorphia issues and acceptance of my shape.

I also just love lifting and being active and I consider it part of who I am now.

@mayne70 I train for powerlifting. The goal is to safely move more weight than the last time I tried. That’s it. Physique goals make my brain itch; they’re too subjective and my self-perception can be so distorted that I wouldn’t trust what I see in the mirror/photos, for better and for worse

@mayne70 I don’t. I work out for my mental health and looking good is just a bonus. Any other mindset sends me into an obsessive spiral with food. I keep tabs on my weight but try not to worry about numbers much. I’ve maintained roughly the same weight for about 4 years if you don’t count losing 5 lbs during COVID

Funny story, I didn’t have access to a scale during COVID. I figured I was gaining weight due to all the takeout and not having access to my normal group fitness. Genuinely thought the scale was broken at the doctors when my weight was down. That’s what really sold me on intuitive eating and the power of daily walks

@mayne70 I completely agree - sure, I want to be toned, but honestly I just feel like I am overall a happier person when I’m working out more and can look myself in the mirror and feel like a baddie. I’m also drinking significantly less, eating better, and working towards healthy boundaries with my job because work has been slowly killing my soul.

So I guess my goal is to just accept my life as I am and not feel like I need to push myself to the extreme all the time and then crash and burnout, and taking time take care of my body and brain every day helps with that

@mayne70 When I started lifting a few years ago, I had a goal to squat my body weight (as in, 160lbs on the barbell). Once I did that, I didn't make another goal and just kept making sure I was progressing. Right now I don't even track my lifting progress, and have started eyeing up a new goal to do more push-ups. So long as I'm active and look fairly fit, I don't sweat having a defined goal.

@mayne70 Build muscle and reduce the visceral fat around my stomach. If I can get my arms and legs looking decently muscular In the process, then I’m happy :)

@mayne70 After being on a low bf%, eating strictly keto, losing my period and being exhausted since last December, just two weeks ago I decided to not have a goal, but just hit the gym because I enjoy it and eat intuitively. I felt kinda like I lost direction if I didn’t have a goal but I realized that was my goal: stop being a control freak lol

@mshelia I’m working on a similar goal to reduce BF% for aesthetic goals. I’m curious at what % did you feel like things got too challenging (period loss, exhaustion etc.)?
I’m at ~20% currently, and it’s hard to know what to target.

@whroll I reached 15-12%! Everything was fun and games right before 15%, my peak was 12% and that’s when I personally had enough, that was the leanest I have ever been in my life. After that, I tried to desperately keep it like that all these past months, which is obviously impossible all year round without some kind of PED. I missed my period for 7 months (got it back after 2 of being off and on keto), I was tired all the time and I got obsessed with food , I’m still fighting this. It’s amazing (not in a good way lol) how the body works regarding food, I dreamed about it, I couldn’t think about anything else but food. Also, I did this all alone without professional coaching which I won’t recommend. Ladies, always try to reach out for professionals ! I would definitely try it again but maybe next year. Sorry for the long reply

@mshelia Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It’s encouraging to hear that there’s a good chance I can make a little more progress without hitting a wall.

What % did you find comfortable to stay at long term? Would you recommend a professional coach for going down to say 18% as well? I have a personal trainer, though I’m not sure if that’s quite the same.

Back