Do you think trap bar deadlifts are an acceptable hybrid between barbell dead lifts and squats?

squidomerer

I’m 46 (as of today!) and formerly in pretty good shape, but…. That’s been a while. I was thinking a very back-safe and minimalist approach to reclaiming my former glory, and curious to y’all’s thoughts.

I’m fairly tall (6’2) and squats have always been extremely hard for me, so in my younger years, I hit deadlifts hard and enjoyed them….until I hurt my back. It luckily wasn’t a huge deal and healed in some time, but kind of scared me off barbell deads for a long long time.

I do enjoy trap bar deadlifts a lot, and wondered if I could use them to reap some of the combined benefits of both squats and bb deads.

Thanks so much for the great information and motivation on this sub over the last year since I joined!

@squidomerer “While it’s true that trap bar deadlifts are a little bit “squattier” than conventional barbell deadlifts, they’re much closer to a “hinge” than a squat. Let’s dig into the data.”

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

So, to answer your question, no. If you have problems with a regular BB squat, goblet squats, split squats, hack squat machine and leg press are all better substitutes.

@squidomerer No. This keeps getting asked here. A deadlift, in any form, is a hinge. The squat pattern is not a hinge. So, things like goblet squats, air squats, split squats are squats.

While I strongly believe humans need to squat. If you simply don’t want to, or can’t, you don’t have to. You don’t have to do any exercise you don’t want to do.

If you never squat again in your life, no one will care.

@squidomerer The squat is called “king of exercises” for a reason. It’s the single best lower body exercise.

That being said, no exercise is irreplaceable. Trap bar deadlifts are fantastic. One of the safest, most effective tools in your arsenal.

@squidomerer Injury prevention is more a result of load/fatigue management. A trap bar might be more comfortable since you have more freedom with your setup, but it isn't inherently safer.

@squidomerer I'm 6'5, 53yo, went from 400# to 230# heavyweight 4 years ago, and use a trap bar. Even when using the high handles it feels like a deficit; we tall guys got a long way to pull, but don't let that stop you. Using a Trap Bar is great! Ultimately, you aren't competing so you can do "whatever" lifts you want to, so just get in there and tear it off the ground. Show the Earth that today, You are stronger than Gravity!!

@squidomerer I had to give up both squats and traditional deadlifts when I was diagnosed with bone on bone arthritis in my hip. While I’m putting off a replacement for a few more years at the advice of my surgeon, I’m at the point that the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze. Trap bar deads allow me to fill my jones for picking heavy shit up off the floor and do a reasonable job of keeping my lower body strong and muscular. Unless you’re looking to compete in the future and if your body is saying no to traditional squats and DLs the trapbar will allow you to stay in the game. It’s hardly the perfect substitute for either but it’s a heck of a lot better than nothing.

@squidomerer Dumbbells. I did stationary lunges for years and thought it was my own invention until youtube hit the scene, lol. I have started doing some reverse lunges and the Bulgarian split squats with one foot on a bench. Did walking ones back in the day. Stationary is the primary one I still do. Really, all I need to do are lunges, back extensions, and calf raises

Back