Doctor said being vegan will kill me and if I wanna be healthy then I need to eat meat again :(

@happywifehappylife If you are losing blood to the point you’re anemic then your Dr should’ve referred you to a OBGYN. But, you should still go to one and get checked out. Having said that, hemp seeds and pea protein have lots of iron. Add those into your diet. You need to supplement B12. That’s what the body uses to make red blood cells an its found in seafood mostly. You could eat sea moss, but unless you are very familiar with its source, you may not see much benefit.
Definitely start taking a multivitamin.
I read what you typically eat in a day and my guess is you are fainting because you are not eating even nearly enough calories. You have to nourish your body! Carbs are your friend. Buy local honey (like from a farmers market) and eat plenty of fruit.

@happywifehappylife Find a different doctor who is willing to help you rather than lecture you about his personal beliefs. There's nothing wrong with talking supplements to get your iron levels back up. If they're very low, diet changes may not even be able to bring them back up without supplementation.

I was anaemic while I was still eating red meat because of my heavy periods. Too the point where if my levels had dropped any lower, I would have needed a blood transfusion.

I took iron supplements (the hardcore kind) and I got better. In the end I got on birth control (Mirena IUD) and I never had problems with iron deficiency again. Now I've been vegan for 6 years and my iron levels have remained normal. So, if your like me the cause of your anaemia could be excessively heavy periods rather than your diet.

I think it's not a bad idea to take supplements until you get your iron levels back up and then try to incorporate more iron rich vegan foods into your diet (add citrus to them because vitamin C helps your body absorb iron). You shouldn't stay on supliments forever without medical supervision because too much iron can also be harmful.

If you like you could also look into solutions for your heavy periods such as hormonal birth control.

Here are some plant based foods you can incorporate more of into your diet to keep your iron levels up:

-Iron-fortified breads and cereals
-Peas; lentils; white, red, and baked beans; soybeans; and chickpeas
-Tofu
-Dried fruits, such as prunes, raisins, and apricots
-Spinach and other dark green leafy vegetables
Prune juice

Good luck!

@happywifehappylife I’ve been a vegan for 17 years and I haven’t dropped dead of anemia yet, in fact my latest blood work was perfect. I’m also a nurse who works in intensive care and know multiple vegan doctors. Wait for the blood work before any assumptions are made, if it’s too hard to get a new doctor right now ask to be referred to a dietician. Doctors unfortunately do not get very much education on nutrition at all and I wouldn’t take dietary advice from a GP unless it’s like “stop eating McDonald’s cause your cholesterol is high”

@happywifehappylife Your doctor is an idiot. If you’re anemic look into Jamaican Sarsparilla, Kalawalla and Contribo. Make a tea with all 3 of those herbs. Drink a cup in the morning and night then go back to your doctor after a month and show him how dumb he is. Also incorporate dandelion greens into your diet.

@happywifehappylife Most Doctors will tell you that they get very limited nutritional training in school. Unless they are involved in a field of study that requires it, they know about as much as you or I do concerning general health related to food. What they know is basic biology and specific drug interactions, that's about it unless they educate themselves.

This is why you get medical doctors like Shawn Baker (who lost his license btw) who advocate all meat diets and then tell people that high cholesterol isn't a problem...like you're going to have a blocked artery in five or ten years high!

@happywifehappylife Get an opinion from a vegan doctor, or dietician. They’d be much more well researched on the topic. I can recommend taking an adequately dosed iron supplement and eating all of your plant based sources of iron with high amounts of vitamin C.

Back