Does anyone work out based on their moon cycle?

francis_mcc

Hi friends,

When I was unemployed, I used to work out five times a week, including three times at the park doing calisthenics. Now that it’s summer where I live (over 90 degrees everyday), it takes a lot more energy for me to get out and exercise, especially since I have PMDD. I also got quite bulky in those few months. Trying to walk more and get a little leaner but maintain muscle.

I’m wondering if I can work with my infradian rhythm instead of against it. I get my period every three weeks. I’m considering a routine like this:
  • Strength train during the Follicular and Ovulation phases - Day 1-16
  • Yoga during the Luteal phase (Day 16- 28)
  • Complete rest during my 3-5 day period (Day 28-Day 31)
Can I still achieve the same level of strength with this plan as I would with the typical mens "arms 2 days a week, legs 2 days, full body 1 day" routine? I also walk a lot everyday, aiming for 8k and often walk up a parking ramp or swim. Thanks,

J

@francis_mcc I don’t think so, simply due to when sticking to a plan you get more results, even if you don’t do the whole workout/less reps etc on pms /period days

I adjusted my diet to my cycle to fuel my body the best I can, but my split stayed the same (push + legs/pull + legs/functional + mobility)

I show up at the gym, but don’t overload if I feel to tired or exhausted

I also read these recommendations (by different sources) and wasn’t quite sure why they put it together like that, if people take sports seriously, they won’t buy yoga gear/lessons + cycling gear + gym membership/equipment + hiking gear (not talking about you here, some recommendations really went overboard)

Like yeah it’s a guideline with examples but pairing yoga with bouldering / lifting and walking for example, splitting them into high impact to lower according to the phases would make more sense in my book

Like vinyasa yoga for the ovulation phase, yin yoga for menstruation, low weights high rep cardio style lifting for ovulation and so on/ rant over 😄

@xdxaxvxex I feel tired/exhausting during Luteal/Menstrual phase I know It will be worse because now I'm working 9-5. Luckily my job involves me walking around to different offices and not sitting the whole time, but still it's tiring.

I know i'll want to continue to do something small during those days but I am usually in an extremely bad mood, feel irritate and bloated and not much motivation to do anything, although normally I LOVE being active. It's like my body is bipolar, depending on what cycle i'm in.

@francis_mcc Have you had your hormones and micronutrients and vitamin levels checked?

I remember I was way more tired when I had constant stress (my ex partner) and wasn’t getting enough of certain micronutrients (low on ferritin and magnesium)

Maybe this could help you to be more energised 🙏