Does Height Matter?

@fireflyrainy At the start of my last bulk (july) I was around 200 lbs but that was after cycling for 3 weeks across europe followed by 2 weeks of no training - so depleted af.

I started off at 4000 calories and within a month settled in to 4200. Then from august to november it slowly creeped up to 4600 and got up to 223 lbs, then took a 2 week maintainance at 3700 and started a cut at 3200 and slowly brought it down to 2900-3000.

Been walking about 12-15k steps/day this whole time btw

@prcg345 I don't think height matters at all but if you're in the 99th percentile for height, you often have longer limbs so you look have muscles that insert less "bubble" like.

@prcg345 Firstly, you have a good physique and clearly have put in the effort. I would say that alone, being tall makes you look like you have less mass compared to someone that’s shorter. When you’re on stage next to the other competitors you’ll really stand out though.

@prcg345 Do you follow any particular protocols, volume landmarks etc?

Feel like we're similar height and torso but your arms kill mine. I spent too many years thinking bis/tris at the end of an upper day was enough to grow them.

@prcg345 I’m 6’4 natural and competed in April 2023 for my first time ever. Placed first in my class for the ocb and second in the overall. Do you technically look smaller on social media? Yea, p much always. But on stage if you’re similar in size even slightly smaller, you’ll win bc of your height. Enjoy it and have fun!

@prcg345 Dope, you’ll kill it then. Make sure you work on your posing. The biggest thing is to enjoy it when it gets close to show day. You already put in tons of work and showday is where you go out and have fun. Nothing like it, I still get goosebumps thinking abt it hahaha.

@prcg345 I dont body build but your tall, so you 150% look bigger in person than you do in your photos. Longer limbs and proportions makes some taller lifters look smaller than they really are. I would say most of the big dudes Ive seen in real life that have impressive physiques are all usually taller then average height.

@prcg345 Yes, it does dictate how long it will take to reach a certain visual goal.

Also, it does the change the exercise selection to a degree.

Being near the 10% bf mark or very close to it as a natural taller person isn't doing any favour of looking jacked, since the LBM requirements are even higher for taller to look proportional and filled out at the same time. I'm 6'2 and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable from a visual standpoint being 10% because I don't have acquired enough mass yet to look how I want at that bf%. This is rather my opinion than an absolute truth.

@prcg345 I dont think height matters. I think frame size matters for bodybuilding. If you are short with huge joints, you’ll probably not look aesthetically pleasing just as a taller guy with huge joints will basically have an impossible job looking big(in terms of muscle aesthetics).

That said, obviously genetics play a huge role. Its just relatively rare for a shorter person with huge joints and frame to be able to build enough muscle to look aesthetically pleasing, and basically impossible for s taller guy with huge joints to without steroids and still very hard with them.

@prcg345 Imagine a 195cm guy with 9inch wrists. His arms are already long as hell from bicep insertion to insertion. He’ll need to gain like 5kg in the bicep alone to look like he has muscle, and it will still not look that big relatively because the huge thick skeleton ie 9 inch wrists make the proportions not as good.

Now compare this to a 175cm guy with 6 inch wrists. Probably can put on 2kg in the bicep itself and look freaky even with 15 inch arms because the smaller wrist additionally makes the biceps look bigger proportionally.

You’ll have a mix and match of these, so guys like mike tyson who at 175cm has 9 inch wrists, just doesn’t have the muscles pop in the same way cause the big old skeleton makes the proportions off.