Easy Muscle Completed (finally)!

biboplex

This past weekend, I completed Geoff Neupert's Easy Muscle program. I started by journey back to health with Noom at the first of this year and lost 40lbs. Easy Muscle was the next step for me. I opted for Schedule B which is a 3 day/week schedule, alternating between KB (C&P/FS), and Bodyweight (Chin-ups/Dips). It took me about 18 weeks (edit: 12 week course + an add’l 6. I was about half awake and mildly distracted when I posted this) to complete it due to a couple of setbacks as I was starting phase 3. Was sick one week and only did a couple of light workouts, the other two were family circumstances that interrupted my schedule and I missed a couple of workouts. Therefore, I ended up stepping it back to the beginning of Phase 2 and completed it from there.

Schedule B is sort of a DFW-Remix lite. on the KB days, you do C&P, rest 5 minutes, then front squats. On body weight days, superset chin-ups and dips. I found the 3day/week schedule to be forgiving on my out of shape, 53-year-old body. I wish I would have kept stats but I would say that the program has made a huge difference in my over all fitness. I am stronger and better conditioned than I have been in years and, outside of workout related soreness, most aches and stiffness are now non-existent. January of 2023, I could barely manage 2 chin-ups and I can now complete 5 sets of 8 reps. I have hovered at 167lbs while my pants size has gone down a bit. I could stand to cut more bodyfat but I'll get there.

This week, I am taking a bit of deload week during which I will determine my new 5RM with the kettlebells and I want to see what my max chin-ups and dips are in one set. When I start over next week, I am going to modify the program just a bit and cut the 5 minute rest between C&P/FS and do it more like DFW on KB days. I also plan on adding a bit of weight to bodyweight exercises with a dip belt. Finally, I may add swings in the mornings following the 0.5 KB swings progression from Geoff's "Swing Hard".

Overall, I have been really pleased with the program and it will likely remain the core of my workouts for a long time to come.

@biboplex That's really impressive with the chinups. I'm 59 and weigh 210. That's an extra 45 lbs ish. I need to work on that.

You did 23 weeks at the same bell weight? What was that?

@maish013 Thanks! I did use the same KB weight for C&P and front squats beginning to end. Up until I started the program, I had been working with a single 16kg (not totally sedentary but wasn't consistently following a specific program as of yet). I went ahead and jumped to double 20KG for the program and that was my absolute 5RM with good form. Those doubles felt like a huge jump and while I was completing the workout as specified, it was grueling for the first 4-5 weeks. I invested in a pair of Bells of Steel adjustables and considering I am not a big guy (5'5", 167lbs), those will last me for a good long while.

@biboplex Right. I started DFW Remix last year this time with 20kg and destroyed my elbows. Had to jump down to 16kgs for a few cycles then 20kgs until July. Doubles will find your weaknesses. I was bouncing around with a few complexes over the summer and settled into a Geoff Nuepert ballistic breakdown but its sets of 10 in consecutive movements. Had to go to 16kgs again.

Good stuff

@jccarlos26serra Thanks! I did indeed change my diet. The Noom app was really helpful to me as it made me more mindful of what I was eating and the color system (vs tracking macros) they use took the guess work out of it which was really helpful at that stage. I think the #1 thing was cutting refined sugar packed foods out of my diet, tbh.

Back