Eating more protein when you don't like protein

@nezsruiz I agree, I've been dismissing it thus far for the above commenters reasons but now I'm thinking every little helps. And half a can of chickpeas is probably a more fulfilling snack than 2 corn cakes and some Philadelphia for probably the same amount of calories. A bit of extra protein there would be a bonus.

@skillz Now that you've added more info on your normal snacks, think about choosing a nut butter instead of Nutella on your cream crackers. Another modest boost would be from using soy milk instead of almond milk. Baked beans instead of hashbrowns at breakfast. Maybe more lamb and less rice at dinner.

It does seem like your snacks are where you have the most room for improvement. Maybe try crispy roasted chickpeas instead of crackers?

@nezsruiz I don't eat Nutella often to be honest but it felt like a nice treat instead of a chocolate...but I think it might have led me down a chocolately rabbit hole instead. Nut butter is probably a good shout having said all that. I'm allergic to soy milk, almond milk was a recent transition from oat, since its significantly lower in calories (compared to the tasty oat milk that is...). I think I'll have to trick myself into more meat less rice, 90g is already massive for me. I'll tell myself if I want to go back for more, I'll only have more meat and some salad or veg, but no more rice. Crispy roasted chickpeas sound great! Baked beans also sounds good.

@vine365 Yes!! I drink the isopure brand every day. I like to add a cup of diet ocean spray for extra fruity flavor. It only adds 5 calories for a grand total of 95 calories and 20g protein!!

@skillz Nutritional Yeast - sounds gross tastes delicious like powdered cheese. I put it on everything because it is so, SO tasty! 2 tbsp has 5g protein

@dj7 I got this during a dairy free phase. It doesn't taste like cheese to me but I do like it as a flavour enhancer for various dishes. Never thought about the protein content. 2 tbsp seems like a lot to add to any one thing but I'm sure a bit here and there will help add up the numbers.

@skillz Eggs are an easy/fast way to bulk up protein.

Not sure you're tolerance, but Fairlife makes a low sugar protein shake. I don't remember what's special about this brand, but it might be reducing the lactose.

I've been unsuccessful so far learning to bake with protein powders. I'm gluten free, so most recipes I have to modify. But high protein cookies or breads could help.

@skillz Protein powder is the only way I've been able to do it. At the very least it's easy to chug quickly when you're not feeling it.

I'd recommend an unflavored whey isolate. I'm also lactose intolerant and struggled my way through so many plant based ones before realizing that the whey isolate doesn't seem to bother me. If you're into adding it to yogurts or other things I'd look for an unflavoured one. I like the isopure unflavoured or the protienCo all natural unflavoured one.

I will add a scoop to my morning latte (I use a Nespresso which seems to make things at a low enough temp that it doesn't congeal). In the afternoon I will add it to some unsweetened almond milk with a squirt of some torani syrup and drink that as an afternoon snack.

@nishaphilips85 I am trying to do this but I'm being wary of red meat also being fatty and eating too much of it within my calories. I don't intensely watch macros as such other than this trying to get more protein, but I notice I've always eaten all my fat allowance and maybe more even while most of my snacks are relatively healthy.

@skillz I aim for 130-140g of protein a day at 5’3 and 140lbs.

Bigger servings of the protein. You like lamb beef chicken and fish. That’s a perfect foundation. What about ground turkey? I often use it instead of beef.

My staples:
Eggs
Greek Yogurt (Oikos pro)
Low fat cottage cheese
I eat a lot of oatmeal, so I opt for protein oatmeal like Kodiak. I also use their pancake mix.
I eat a lot of shrimp, tuna, salmon and ground turkey. Chicken is iffy for me but I will eat it.
I like the Fairlife shakes (and I think they
are lactose free )

Build your meals around the protein. That’s how I finally got it down. If I know I want at least 40g in a meal so I start with what serving of protein and build from there. And it did take some time for my body to adjust to the extra protein.

I don’t do any protein powders either because I think they are all gross 😷