Exercise advice, I’m always exhausted

thedarkfigure

25 (f) 5’6” 135lbs
Has anyone experienced extreme fatigue through everyday life? workouts can either be really good or really choppy based on energy levels? (I’m talking half the time they’re good and the other half I feel completely drained before I even begin)

I drink 80- 120oz water daily, never have sodas and try to keep processed food to a very low minimum..
I eat pretty healthy, but I’m not tracking macros… protein, carbs, fats etc. I don’t eat out very frequently and fast food is pretty rare for me.

I usually get around 6-8 hours of sleep, but I do find myself staying up late on the weekends and sleeping in 10-12 hours, then feeling completely crashed for the day. Even waking up, I can feel very dissociative and like my eyes are sleepy ALL day.

I’ve been trying to build discipline and stop creating excuses for myself for the past year, but I’m finding it extremely difficult based off how low energy I feel… I know no one’s a doctor but even if someone’s had this issue, could you please share any life changes you made. I’m quite desperate at this point, starting to feel like my progress is abnormally slow, and mental obstacles I’ve overcome are in vain!

@thedarkfigure It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to the doctors to get your levels checked. Sometimes we can be deficient in certain vitamins & not even know it.

I was super fatigued until I started adding more sodium to my diet. Weird but I didn't realize how much salt I sweat out during my workouts. Upping my protein intake helped too.

Also, go easy on yourself. Some days you'll go hard on a work out & other days not, that's normal!

@thedarkfigure I think thats your issue. Carnivore diet is not very good for weightlifting as carbohydrates are our main source of energy as humans. You would preferably have near 50% of your calories coming from carbs, unless on a restricted diet to lose weight. What you eat before your workout is the determining factor for how that workout will go. Eat no carbs, you'll feel tired, wont get a good lift, and will feel tired after. Eat a good amount of carbs (between 1-2 g / kg of bodyweight) and you'll feel great, even after the workout. This assumes your not deficient in any vitamins or electrolytes, dehydrated, or sleep deprived.

@miles44 I think this could improve how I feel.
Thought I was eating a dense amount of carbs, specifically potatoes, rice, pasta, beans and sourdough bread being top on my list. But I have been making carnivore meat my highest consumption over carbs, and carbs second most consumed. Then again, I haven’t been counting macros just because I feel like it’s going to be overwhelming to my already busy schedule,but I could definitely start integrating it. Im mainly looking to build muscle (I’m not afraid of having a more “masculine” physique). But that could definitely be a change I could make for a month to see if things improve. I have a pretty fast metabolism and weight loss is not my goal, I’d actually be comfortable gaining some. I don’t closely track my weight either because it’s irrelevant to my goal.

@thedarkfigure It's absolutely the fad carnivore diet. Your body is craving carbs, and if you aren't getting enough you are going to feel like shit (ie. How you currently feel).

It's okay to eat carbs, they aren't the enemy. Just don't go overboard with it.

@thedarkfigure As most people not about bulking, the carbs suck. It’s because on a normal diet you eat between 100-200, sometimes maybe 250-300. on a good bulk you’re eating 400+ carbs a day, and it’s HARD. but the energy gains aren’t even comparable. like training with caffeine vs without.

@miles44 Agree with this. Whenever I want to lose a bit of fat I drop my carb intake and it makes working out way harder. Energy levels drop a lot and often the thought of lifting heavy is pretty unappealing.

The way i usually try to counteract this is a small amount of sugar (something like a couple of jellybeans) before I workout. It seems to give me an energy boost while im warming up and once I've started the energy levels just stay pretty good for the whole workout.

@bhodla Currently keto for the month as I’ve been bulking and doing 450 carbs daily and was looking to lean out for a month without losing mass. I’m definitely leaning out but my workouts have felt terrible. Im still doing preworkout and just added some MCT oil (which I feel gave me maybe a tiny perk but jury is still out). But I feel infinitely better during my workouts when I’m consuming a ton of carbs.

@thedarkfigure Hi! I 17 (f) 4'9" 95(ish)lbs wanted to respond as I had a similar experience before and wanted to share my 2 cents. When I was in middle school I did competitive dance and would, depending on the day, feel too tired (almost crying (dramatic ik)) because I just felt too tired. I found myself sleeping 14+ hours and still being exhausted, for reasons not relatable to your situation I went to the doctor and got a shit ton of blood tests testing from anemia to celiac to turner's syndrome. Results came back and I was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease (an autoimmune disorder that causes extreme hypothyroidism) and was prescribed medication and found myself like 10x less tired, I have definitely noticed a big change since being medicated. My disorder is an uncommon case as it started so young, average age being 40-60😭, (I also experienced muscle stiffness and extreme weight gain which you don't experience using the knowledge of this post) but lesser cases of hypothyroidism are extremely common especially in afab people or females. The common age range for these problems might convince you and your doctor to think that it's not worth it to test but if you can afford it you really should check, if it can happen to someone as young as me (once again symptoms started middle school/late elementary) it can happen to someone as young as you! I mean my doctor didn't even bring up any concerns when I was 4'6 in eighth grade so doctors definitely aren't the end all be all lmao

@thedarkfigure The only thing that's off from what you wrote is the 6-8 hours of sleep. You should correct that to 8 hours of sleep nightly. Could be a number of things though. Sleep apnea, thyroid issue, depression. Go to a doctor and get some blood work done.

@thedarkfigure 2 minute cold plunge in the morning at home or before workout has helped me. 30 seconds to 1 minute to 2 minutes goal. Gradually to 3 mins. You can change your water every week or 2 to save water.

pc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_toc_md_pmx_us_urlx_17942344289&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhomtBhDgARIsABcaYynW7uCqM00n8-h7rWWYkYiMeZPbyd2m5Xm-UvlcOzGOtuTXWri9jY4aAklwEALw_wcB

@thedarkfigure You should definitely track your macros and calories. If you're in a big enough deficit for long enough you'll be chronically fatigued.

Maybe take a few weeks where you make sure to eat at maintenance and see if that helps.

@roundspheal01 Usually 3x a week, I try to do compound movements. And work my arms, back, and legs. I do find myself doing leg workouts the most. I avoid cardio, maximum 10mins on the treadmill. Definitely trying to up my weight as I progress. I’m not super routined with my workouts because I’m still very new to weightlifting and it’s a lot of information and a little overwhelming. I’d say I’m averagely consistent. I work a little over 40 hours a week, and my job requires standing all day+ a lot of arm and shoulder movement, usually for the full work shift.