F/37/5'5/205lbs- I need a fitness plan

tamtamrod

I'm just going to be short and sweet. I need help. My body never recovered from pregnancy....3 years ago. I've been depressed for a long time, but I am being treated for it. Trying to even find the motivation to take care of myself is hard. I used to be into lifting weights, but it's been about 2 years since I've been to a gym and now I feel like I am so far gone, I don't even know how to start. I have back pain all the time, knee and hip pain, shortness of breath. I know a lot of it has to do with my diet and portion sizes, however, I've recently started a more "Mediterranean" approach to my diet and I'm hoping that will help. Any tips and advice are greatly appreciated 🙂

ETA: Thank you everyone for the helpful information, recommendations, words of encouragement, advice, and taking the time to respond to my post.

@tamtamrod Like with depression it is one step at a time. In this case literally start walking.

Adjust your diet and cut out the worst things you eat and habits. Don’t buy junk or things you might overeat, and get healthy options.

Then just do that awhile and build the habits. At some point do more, but trying to do it all immediately is a recipe for failure.

@lanman87 I agree with all of this. Depression takes such a toll on your physical fitness.

One thing that helped me was to put on a show while I walked on my walk pad (under my desk) and it let me focus on one thing as I got my steps in. You can also do a podcast or music or whatever you prefer. Start by setting some small step goals like maybe 5,000 steps to start and then slowly increase as you start to consistently meet your goals.

The other thing to add is that if you set any goals and don’t meet them, don’t beat yourself up about it. Just remind yourself you can do better next time. I think that can be really hard, beating yourself up when you’re trying so hard. The small changes in mindset will help you attain long term goals. It is not an easy journey but it’s a journey for health and happiness 😊

@lanman87 Thank you, I'm excited to start walking/jogging. We bought a treadmill last week, it has yet to be delivered. I'm too embarrassed to jog in front of my neighbors.

@tamtamrod Weight loss is 90% diet. So don’t overthink the exercise portion right now — just engage in movement that feels good to you. Walking is an absolutely perfect choice.

Focus most of your energy on your diet. You need to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose fat. One pound of fat equals approximately 3500 calories, so to lose one pound per week, you would want a deficit of 3500 calories per week or 500 calories per day.

That means you take your daily “maintenance” calories (the number it takes for you to just remain the same size you are now) and subtract 500. You can also start with a smaller deficit if 500 feels like too much.

Slow, steady, sustainable weight loss is always better than rapidly dropping weight, which results in re-gain for the vast majority of people.

@kyrie_eleison Weight loss is 100% diet. That's the only way to lose weight.

You can increase your ability to lose faster by increasing muscle mass so that your basal metabolic rate increases (slightly). But otherwise the only way you're losing weight is by eating less than you're burning. You can't outrun a bad diet, nor thermodynamics.

@tamtamrod I used the gym as a means of escape while battling PPD. I soon found the endorphins and success of reaching weightlifting goals very motivating. I'm down 60lbs since I delivered (35 actively worked off). Make small gradual changes to encourage your best success. I exercised for several months without adjusting calories, only prioritizing protein- once that felt routine I worked on a caloric deficit. A big tip I have is take progress photos- there were times the scale didn't move but I kept myself going seeing how my body was still changing. You can do it! Good luck!

@tamtamrod
I have back pain all the time, knee and hip pain, shortness of breath.

Have you talked to a doctor about this? Just to rule out anything serious/structural. Shortness of breath could be asthma.

Not trying to make you feel bad but it's a good idea to run fitness ideas by a doctor first when you're dealing with chronic(?) or ongoing pain/issues just in case it's not a good idea.

Whatever you do start slow, small, gradual, light and work your way upwards slowly in intensity so your body has time to adjust. Set your expectations accordingly. That's the sustainable path to a long-term win.

@aranyi_zsolt Thank you, I have had complete physicals in the recent past, the only thing amiss was that my thyroid levels were off. My mom has hypothyroidism. However, the following visit about 6mos later showed my levels were normal 🤷🏼‍♀️

@tamtamrod Well that's good, I think? (I don't know much about that condition.) Just wouldn't want you to jump onto a treadmill without an inhalor handy if you in fact have asthma...

@tamtamrod I lost 60kg over 18months. Here are my basics tips

Read atomic habits-best book for weight loss

Start moving - walking is amazing

Resistance training with a proper program - look into strong curves

Work out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and minus 500 to put you in a deficit

Use a food tracker

Eat 1g protein / lb of body weight or 1g / cm of height.

Weigh your food

Weigh your self daily same time same clothes or sans clothes

It sounds like a lot hence atomic habits. Do it in small bits and turn it into habits. It’s a marathon not a sprint!!

You’ve got this!!!

@karlsen Thank you! I will look into Atomic Habits and the strong curves program. I'm afraid to weigh myself daily as I know muscle weighs more than fat and I don't want to become discouraged if the numbers aren't moving ya know? Someone else suggested taking progress pics, I thought that was a good idea!
I've never heard of total daily energy expenditure. Is that sort of like calculating a calorie deficit?

@tamtamrod The reason for daily weigh in, for me anyway, is that weight fluctuations can be so big that if you do it weekly you don’t see the trend and you might be at a high point.

Also look into SWOT analysis (strengths weakness opportunities and threats) it’s a business technique but can be used for anything. It will require so fairly serious honest introspection but will set you up for success.

@tamtamrod -Burn more calories than you consume (calculate Tdee and subtract 500 calories)
-Do at least three days of workout that you enjoy

After a month of this you will start getting into a routine and enjoying the process. At that time add another day in, and maybe add a different lift to your routine, or do a different type of HIIT.

I feel like instead of forcing yourself to a specific plan at the beginning that you might not enjoy as much, do something you like (lifting, running, HIIT, boxing) and you will have a better chance of sticking with it.

@tamtamrod When I first got back into the gym I started with strong lifts It's 3 days a week 3 exercises 5x5. I literally started with the bar and worked my way up. If you follow it as written you'll build a solid strength base which will get you back into the gym and prepare you for more complex workouts. Eat whole foods with a focus on protein and you'll crush it!