F/38/5'6/120lbs - Total beginner looking for insight / perspective from more seasoned fitness nerds

@radekm My roommate swore by them, I thought they were doofy and inferior to other weights, but boy was I wrong. Just doing some swings or learning how to perform simple movements with them gave me a whole new respect for them.

@radekm Sandbags. I trained kettlebell for a decade and even got my instructor cert through Steve Maxwell, have swapped out entirely for fitness sandbags. They can do everything a kettlebell can, are more effective for strength training around the home, won't mark up your floor and cost a fraction.

@renatusfueritexaqua My exposure to sandbags is limited to CrossFit. Have you had any issues with leaking? Literally every bag I used there was leaking sand which is why I haven’t bothered with them at home. Do you have a preferred brand? Would love to get a few for home.

@josipa GoRuck has the best reputation for durability, I cannot personally vouch for em.

I have Cerus and RepFit, use with play sand and tube sand. They both have pretty good filler bags. Over time they will dust, but I don't normally have actual sand leaking out, and have to drop them on hard flooring for them to dust. Packed with rags to fill the slack they won't even dust very much.

Trained for a couple years in spare family room and never had a problem. Training in the basement where I can drop from chest height they puff a little more but no actual sand.

@radekm Read the fitness wiki is the best advice you are going to get. Pick a real program on the wiki And run it as is.

If you look at progress reports there is a stark difference between people who run an actual program vs people who just do a list of exercises for some reps.

So pick a beginner program on the wiki anyone will work and run it exactly as prescribed and you will see results that are above average.

@radekm Find a gym with a concept 2 rowing machine and look up "Petes beginner plan". It's 3 days a week, starts fairly easy and works up to longer/faster sessions.

You'll tone up basically every part of your body and build endurance like crazy without building mass, and it's great for fixing slouching/posture problems caused by a modern lifestyle. It has changed my life.

@radekm I hate to sound cliche, but you want to improve what exactly? For F38, you look pretty good.

Having said that, on your list:
  • Diet. Look at yourself? Whatever you're (not) eating, continue doing it? I'm a proponent of simply eating healthy. Minimally processed foods. If it doesn't go bad, it's probably bad for you. No sugar. And calories come from food, not drinks, so water, tea, coffee only. I'm guessing this is stuff you're already well aware of.
  • Diet, cont. I'm a fan of no-HFCS, minimal sugar content, no Added Sugars. On processed foods, I'm a fan of as few ingredients as possible.
  • Toning. Lift light, lift heavy, whatever you want. When you get as big as you want, lay off the weights.
  • Cardio. Not a huge fan of running. I'd like to die with my original knees. Inclines and stairs will get your pulse and sweat up just as easily and save the wear and tear on your joints. Or swimming, ofc, if it's available to you.
  • Posture. Typically fixed with back and core exercises. I like rows and pulldowns. Your ass will come from hip thrusts. Looks goofy, feels great, quick results. Squats, deadlifts and leg presses are as popular as they are, for good reason.
  • Boobs. No idea there. Dunno if chestwork lifts boobs or makes perkier, or just makes them look sad under some muscle.

@angiasky89 Haha well thanks for that, everyone has things about themselves they'd like to improve - I guess after quitting smoking (only picked it up for a year, but Holy shit, I was in deep) and booze, I was like - what else can I do? In some ways I don't look bad for my age I guess (no kiddos helps) but in some others I have a lot of room for improvement. I've never been in peak physical condition, nor had a nice butt- so, onward & upwards...

With the diet bit: sure, I eat clean- but I don't know how, what, or when to eat with regards to fueling a workout. I've heard the term carbo-loading, I've heard high-protein, pea over whey supplements, pre- and post- workout supps. What's worked for you? I realize men & women are different (cough) but I'm just wanting directions for further research- what's actually worked for people- because it seems like every other edited Instagram athlete is trying to promote some product or get views. I have questions like:

1) When is the ideal time to eat to fuel my body pre- and post-workout?
2) Is max protein intake really necessary? I've heard conflicting opinion on this.
3) Carbs? In my understanding complex carbs are what your want to go for because the simpler stuff burns up faster, but everyone's doing keto these days, so....
4) Are there supplements I should be taking advantage of? Creatine kinda noids me out...

@radekm Not a pro here, and there are lots of very strong opinions on this stuff. So simply put,

Ideal time to eat: Get some protein 30-40 minutes before or after a workout.

Max protein intake necessary: No, but it is necessary to build muscle. You’ll need to up your protein intake.

Carbs & supplements: Eat then, they are necessary. Whatever you are eating now, just up the protein portion and/ or add a quality shake.

@radekm
  • Ideal time? I personally don't treat the situation like there is one. I know if I eat too close to gym time, that it's going to be burped up nonstop, sometimes worse. Instead, eat regularly. I personally snack pretty much nonstop throughout the day. Protein bar here, lunchmeat there, avocado here, apple there.
  • I wouldn't think max protein intake for you is anywhere near necessary. Dudes trying to be dudes are told to eat 1 g per 1 lb body weight. I can't see that for you. However, high protein diets typically mean low everything else, which is healthy. With the exception that high protein also means low fiber. It makes going to the bathroom difficult. Fix that with metamucil or natural fiber. I've read that high protein is hard on your kidneys, so water water water.
  • Protein more-or-less means meat. Yes, there are vegan ways to do it, but the easiest way is to eat animal muscle. If you're not opposed to fish, sashimi absolutely can't be beat. If you want the carbs, go with sushi / nigiri for the rice.
  • I love my protein shakes. But milk-based protein absolutely wrecks my stomach, so I switched to pea-based, which is vegan. No more lactose issues. Fair Life Milk (half the sugar, no lactose), my pea protein, frozen blueberries. Fuck yeah.
  • Just recently found No Cow Protein Bars. I think vegan. Ton of protein AND fiber, so it's a win-win.
  • I do take pre-workout, which is just caffeine and a bunch of other long-winded bullshit, but it really does work. You may get the tingles the first couple times, but it's harmless. Just gives you energy and focus to really work out.
  • I do take creatine, which is harmless. A million articles written on it. I personally like healthline.com articles. Website isn't full of too much bullshit, articles are clear and concise. Creatine is already in our body, you just add more so your muscles can get a bit more action in. Probably completely optional for you and your goals.
  • I feel you have the right idea on consuming all the Influencers with a side of skepticism. I'll watch videos to check and compare my form, but I don't take stock in much else. Instead, if I have a question about a certain exercise or philosophy, I'll read several articles to make sure there is a general consensus among them. And you'll get varying opinions on everything.
  • There are a few solid truths in diet and exercise, and a billion opinions and sales pitches.

@angiasky89 Wtf?

No. "Protein" does not "more or less mean meat"

Where tf does this myth even come from? How tf do you think animals build muscle? Where do you think THEY get protein from?

Can't believe I've still gotta read this nonsense in 2021.

@radekm
e ideal time to eat to fuel my body pre- and post-workout?

1) I ate carbs pre-workout and saw no difference in workout. Also was hard to make another meal within 45 min or so of last meal and could make you sluggish right before a workout. One more thing that is extra calories not a good thing unless you are bulking. For me I never bulk or cut, just maintain which isn't bad as you can still gain size/strength from it. Post workout a protein shake (2 for the day).

2) At 120lbs 180-250g protein/day.

3)Don't really buy into simple/complex carbs now. Just eat what I know is good for me and stick to eat. At one time I figure out stuff, but now just eat my meals without thinking about it. I am sure of you want to compete you would want to know these details though.

4) Back when I started I would spend $100+ on supps not counting whey protein. Just took a creatine and nothing. I would suggest a whey protein (if you are a vegetarian some other protein shake, but if whey (dairy) is fine go for it). Shakes you quick protein without having a sit down meal.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your goals. :)

@radekm Slightly different approach to look into… and maybe you already are.

You might be able to find an AA (or similar) group that is at least partially focused on activity. Maybe even a focused group like specifically a running group or cross fit group or cycling, spinning, kickboxing, yada yada yada.

The group support AND activity combo can be a big big help as opposed to solo working out AND dealing with your addiction separately (not that you can’t/shouldn’t also do that.)

It’s not just two birds with one stone either. Getting fit/healthy is a lifestyle change. Which looks nice on paper, but in reality can be a HUGE challenge. If dealing with the addiction is already going to require that type of commitment, then the getting fit can drop right in there with it.

As for not getting “muscly,” you don’t need to worry about that even a little bit. That only happens if you consume massive amounts of protein and lift heavy heavy weights multiple times a week. That being said don’t avoid any weight work. It will be a big boon to your over all “body shape” by strengthening (without bulking) muscles that “hold” things in place. Good posture, shoulder and hips specifically, requires a lot of muscles that most of us just don’t give any attention to that doing some very basic exercises (like squats) will do wonders for. And the more weight you squat the stronger all that stuff gets (within reason).

@radekm A few thoughts for you added to all the other stuff from my 68 years of experience. You are just entering the part of life where it becomes costly from now on to do young and stupid stuff. Just like you think to yourself, oh maybe not the "buff 'n' puff" deadlifts cuz they might hurt an older, rehabbed injury. Think of your whole body that way. Don't just protect the injured before parts. Protect the not previously injured parts too cuz you need them for many years into the future.

For example. My father had a spinal fusion operation when in his 50's. My older brother has had lumbar problems for decades. Lived on oxycontin. He's now in early stages of dementia. They both smoked for large portions of their lives. Me? I can do a hundred back extensions on a 45 degree back extension bench. I NEVER do any exercise that compresses the spine with weight from above. As in NO squats, free standing or machine. But when I last regularly was going to a health club (5 yrs before retiring to Texas) I used to love watching the young guys from the corner of my eye while I put 6 45# plates on either side of the leg press machine. Such a machine allows one to isolate quad work and completely protect the low back. Which is why I got to the place where I did 3 X 15 reps of 550+ pounds like it was nothin' but fun. But did I do that because I got my jolly's out of showing up young guys who'd injure themselves just trying to make that much weight move at all? Nope, course not. Surely you've noticed old folks who have allowed their leg muscle strength to dwindle so badly that they shuffle step just to make it through the grocery store hanging onto the cart. Now is the time when you give your body a lifetime of health so you are never that person.

Instead of giving in to being genetically weak in my lumbar back, I've worked at keeping my core strong for decades. Trying to keep from being crude, on any given day that strong core serves both me and my baby in a very important way. I suspect when you are my age, you won't want to have given up a bit of how important that part of life is either. When your body already looks like what most guys would want, and then you say you wanna turn your light up by a couple thousand watts, you are aiming for way into the top 5%. Good for you. Quality of life for life should be your goal. And being in the top 5% before you hit 40 works well. At 40 I was running about 20 miles a week. My BP 90/60 and resting heart rate of 60 like a rock. That cardio-vascular health then has served me well.

A few random ideas:

Commitment to flexibility exercises is way important. Choose any flavor (yoga, basic stretching, etc.) you like.

Donkey kicks with a little ankle weight are a great and often overlooked glute exercise.

If you ran that much you know the "feel" of strong quads and dense calves. I know you are petite and want to avoid looking "hunky." Do make health and strength more important than the fine tuning of an appealing feminine shape. It will serve your health much better in the long run. And anyway, there are lots of guys in that top 5% who think the petite, strong and athletic gymnast look is super attractive.

I see you're a vegetarian. But do look at the science. Don't be fooled by the anti-dietary fat crowd. Watch some stuff on ketogenic principles. Learn about good cholesterol is the building block for all the hormones that are so important.

Next time you see a family doc for a checkup, get a thorough hormone panel so you will have a baseline for you. (thyroid, estradiol, progesterone, testosterone) You'll be very happy to have it someday.

Get to the place that a vertical sit-up bench at the gym is your friend. There was a time when I used to do my sets on one holding a 45# plate to my chest. Dang that was a fun time. :)

Wish you the best in your endeavors!