Fashion Models and Height

anotherblowhard

Hello fellow petite people! This is my first post here. So I’m F, 21, and 5’3 (sort of petite, but not that far below average) and I’ve gone from 131lbs to 114lbs over the last year.

When I started my journey and was diving into all of the Internet communities centered around weight/fitness/etc. I heard a lot about people wanting more weight-inclusive fashion models or fashion models with a variety of body types, which is all great and good. It’s nice for all people to be able to get a general idea of what clothes would look like on their body without trying things on.

But the question I have is - why is there not the same thing for height? I have managed to change my weight, but obviously cannot change my height. Why are the majority of clothes made for and modeled on women who are 5’9 - 5’11 and why is no one making a big deal about it like they do if clothes are only made for/modeled on very thin people?? Most women are not this tall!

Of course some are and they’re beautiful…but like every shirt I try on goes way past my booty and looks really sloppy unless it’s designed to be cropped (in which case it fits normally) and I’m average! Why is this the case lol

@anotherblowhard I love seeing the variety of models these days, but I get what you're saying. I'll be looking at an item online and under the pics it's always, "Julie is 5'9", 120 lbs and wearing a size XS." "Lola is 5'10" 175 lbs and wearing a size M." Right, that helps me not at all!

@rdprakash ugh this is the most frustrating thing ever! i mostly gave up on online shopping. and anything that’s designed to be “oversized” i don’t even bother looking at, bc if it’s oversized on an average person it’s double oversized on me and i look ridiculous.

@rc393 Agreed! Tons of my clothes are from ASOS petite and they have sales all the time, the clothes are mostly quality for what you’re paying, and they have a fantastic return policy!

@anotherblowhard At 4'10" and 100 lbs with size 4 feet, I am relegated to the kids section. Nordstrom Rack is the only store to sell shoes in my size. Add the fact that I'm an hourglass with 28GG breasts and nothing is made for me. Ever. Anything strapless isn't meant for me, anything backless isn't meant for me, and I suffer when small boobs are in vogue because my options narrow even further.

I would love to just once go shopping without having a mini panic attack in the fitting room because nothing fits. "The clothes are meant to fit you, not the other way around" sure does fall on deaf ears when the whole world forgets that you even exist.

@wenjie high five, same here! I'm 5'1 and 93 lbs, also at kids' section. sometimes it can be beneficial (kids clothing and shoes are usually cheaper!) but it also requires lot of time and frustration to find something decent. I wish I could just go shopping and buy what I like - not only what fits on me :(

btw, for all petites - if you have Bershka (Inditex brand) stores somewhere nearby, you can check their sizing. not the prettiest clothing in the world (or maybe just not my style) but sizes are quite accurate for petites.

Back