Feeling like a loser

I am 26 F and 5 feet 1 . Started my weight loss journey on November 1st. Was doing great. Lost 9 kg / 20 pounds within 2 months without exercise and eating only 1200 calories a day. But for the past 1 week i have been binging like crazy and gained 3 kgs of weight. I am feeling so demotivated right now and feeling like a loser. What yall do after such bad days? How do you not get into this loser mindset? How do you make up for the bad days?Any advice or motivation will Highly be appreciated. Thank youuu

@previouslyseeking The fact that your binging means you’ve been eating in too great of a deficit that isn’t sustainable. Gradual weight loss over time will be maintained as opposed to dropping weight fast

@previouslyseeking It’s unlikely you’ve gained 3kg of fat in 1 week - it’s probably some fat, but mostly water. So relax, take this as a lesson that you need more than 1200 cals, and get back to it! When the stress of this binge cycle dissipates and you get back to eating normally, in a MODERATE deficit, you’ll lose that 3kg as quickly as you gained it.

@previouslyseeking 90% of that “3lbs” you gained is just water and inflammation from bad food choices. Chill out friend, you didn’t ruin anything.

1200 calories per day isn’t sustainable long term, that’s why you binged. I would suggest increasing calories if this deficit is something you want to maintain for a longer term. You’ll lose weight a bit slower but won’t feel so deprived. Also try to increase walking. People underestimate the impact increased steps have when you’re trying to drop fat

@previouslyseeking I have been here twice. I lost like 30 ibs eating 1200 last year. It wasn’t healthy and I didn’t look good. Please eat more and you just have to be more patient - 120 isn’t sustainable!

@previouslyseeking The best thing you can do is get back up. So wherever you are, get back up and get back on track. (Maybe not on track to 1200cals though, that's way too low. Start with 14-1500). Everyone misses the mark sometimes, everyone fails. Here are a few things I do.

After a binge, my immediate goal becomes not letting the binge ruin the day, the week, the month, etc. It's hard to get past the feeling of defeat, but you should not let it dictate your actions after. I made a rule for myself that I always follow: 1 binge = 1hr walk, no exceptions. If I don't want to walk for an hour at 3am, then I avoid binging at 3am. (Daytime is obviously a different story, but the rule stays the same--I must walk for an hour if and when I binge). Having a non-negotiable rule for yourself might be enough to push off a binge altogether. If you choose to do this, commit to whatever consequence you choose for yourself. The rule means nothing if you don't hold yourself to it.

Another thing I aim to do is "fail better". If I know I'm going to binge, at the very least, I aim to do it a little healthier than before. I do something different that makes my fail a little less of a fail. Example: if I binged and went to bed right after, then the next time I binge I would force myself to go for a walk after (this is how I ended up with my 1hr walk rule). If I binged on cookies, then next time I'd try binging on sugar free cookies, or I'd just try allowing myself to just have half the pack of cookies instead of the entire thing. If you're going to fail, do something different so you don't repeat the same mistake.

No one's perfect OP. Especially for those of us who struggle with binging, this is a fight we don't always win. But know you're not alone, and know you can 100% lose the weight you gained, and do it the healthy way. Exercising and eating healthy is not a sprint, it's a marathon. And that marathon lasts for your lifetime. Try to make a change that you can sustain for life. Rethink your goals and focus more on health. Your future mind and body will thank you for it!

@previouslyseeking The issue with calorie restriction and no exercise diet is that you’re more likely to lose muscle than fat, so you will end up in a yo-yo cycle of losing muscle and gaining fat, and each time it gets easier to put on fat bc of the lack of muscle. I highly highly recommend incorporating some form of weight training (doesn’t have to be so intense), even yoga or Pilates will count- and eating enough to sustain muscles. As your body gains more muscle, it will become easier to shed the fat. Weight/the number on the scale is not as relevant as the composition within it. For example, earlier this year I would be considered skinny per my BMI (~24%) but my body fat was closer to the 30% range, which is less than ideal. After gaining some muscle through light weight training, it is so much easier to maintain a sustainable diet. And that doesn’t mean you can’t eat junk food- you absolutely do lol but it’s just finding a balance. And don’t beat yourself up when you eat something “bad” bc you can always get back up. And actually having that craving is better and in most cases needed, instead of diet burn-out and binging.

@previouslyseeking You’re a huge loser which is amazing and impressive because you’ve lost 20 lbs already! That’s massive!

Weight loss (like most things in life) is not linear and it’s not healthy to expect perfection.

Keep working hard and be gentle with yourself!

Back