Feeling like I don't look like I workout

@carolsheats It’s a powerlifting program made by redditor nsuns inspired by the 5/3/1 strength program. The focus is getting numbers up, rather than build aesthetic.

@hendricks62 I liked running Stephanie Buttermore’s Womens’ Specialization program. It runs for 8 weeks, first 4 weeks are 6 days, last 4 weeks are 5 days on. It incorporates 4 lower and 2 upper days with a combo of push/pull. It had SBDL and OHP but they’re 3-4 sets for 8-15 reps, so you’d probably drop down in weight. You could honestly make your own push/pull but I was lazy :)

@lorune Wow, six and five days a week sounds tough. Do you know how long the workouts tend to be? Like in terms of time and/or how many exercises per day.

I'm running Gluteal Goddess just 3 days a week rn and those take me 1.25 hrs per workout, and on top of walking and yoga I feel like I barely recover between workouts. I am interested in trying other body building plans though.

@pcippy I think the last time I did it I spend max 1 1/2h? nSuns actually takes me longer, up to 2h esp on leg days. It was tough at first but your body will learn to adapt/adjust over time. Ain’t nothing to it but to do it!

@hendricks62 A conversation with a friend recently kind of brought me to the mindset that "looks like you workout" can sometimes be based more in societal expectations and personal insecurity than reality?

Like, I feel it on a personal level (because I really struggle not to conflate looking "fit" with a low body fat percentage for myself) but I look in a mirror on a good day and holy shit my quads/hamstrings/biceps/triceps/core look so different from 2-3 years ago.

Most of my fit female friends are super harsh on themselves about their bodies though. :-/ I have two that aren't.

@colton1919 I mean, if it helps, I can absolutely tell when someone moves like they’re fit versus like a typical sedentary person. They have better posture and the gracefulness that comes from muscles working smoothly together. Also, muscles show in motion that may not stand out when you’re standing still. Likely the person in the mirror may look the same to you, but has that “glow” of health to others.

@hendricks62 I mean, I don't know a ton about lifty things but it sounds like you're kicking some ass based on your numbers? There's a whole wide range of body types that reflect putting in the work!

@hendricks62 Same! Even when I was at my peak a year back I didn't really look like I worked out. But I think for me it's just genetics fat storage wise. It always stays stubborn around my waist/stomach and sides. Which makes me just have a normal body instead of that of someone who works out a lot.

@hendricks62 Well, you workout. You are what that looks like.

If you mean you don't look like one of the fitness models or Instagram fitness influencers, that's probably because they're doing things you're not doing and probably don't want to do. They're possibly unhealthy things.

@need Don't forget genetics. There are people who work out in name kind of but don't really put in a lot of effort, but look like supermodels.

other people grind to the gym everyday at 5:30 in the morning putting in maximum effort, and still look frumpy.

I think it's important to decouple the aesthetic side from the health side when considering working out.

I guarantee you that the frumpy lady who works out hard has a zest for life and a glow and a shine in her eyes that no one else has.

@need This is the best take IMO.

I think a lot of us get unrealistic expectations from being pelted with instagram fitness influencers about what looking for or in shape looks like. To look cut and sculped like so many of them do is a combo of obvi exercise, good genetics, strict (possibly too strict and borderline disordered) dieting, often purposeful dehydration, and good lighting. The list goes on, but so much of it is unattainable for most people.

When I divorced myself from the expectation of having muscle definition/build in the "right places" all the time, I was able to appreciate my body for what it could do and treat it with respect. Normal people who work out just look like normal people 🤷‍♀️

@lillierose730 strong agree. getting off social media has done absolute wonders for my self-esteem because it means i can only compare my body to previous versions of my body (pre-baby, post-baby and sadly pre-thanksgiving week and post-thanksgiving week!) which is amazingly motivating without all the "i'll never look like that" noise.