Feeling so incredibly overwhelmed by the amount of "best" workout routines

icecreamballer

I've recently dropped the routine that I've been doing for 2 months as after doing more research it turns out it's more intermediate-lifter-focused (Jeff Nippard's 2022 PPL program). And trying to find a new routine has been a nightmare lol.

I've probably looked at around 50 different programs by now and don't know which one really will help me grow the right muscles at the best pace.

One guy on YouTube says that PPLs suck and you should only work out 4 times a week, another guy says the complete opposite and adds that the more often you workout a week the more muscles you'll grow.

I like to search up the results (usually pics of growth) that people have had to really gauge how good the program probably is but these guys on youtube are all huge so it's basically useless to compare.

I ended up reaching the conclusion that for my situation the best PPL workout would be coolcicadas or the reddit PPL despite what the majority of people on youtube say.

Does anyone have any good advice?

@icecreamballer “Best” workout programs are like “best” recipes. They’re just opinions and you shouldn’t expect everyone to agree.

Check out the r/fitness wiki, all the programs in there are good (or at least they’re not bad) and there are all different kinds.

Btw as a beginner the good news is that you’ll have great results on anything. Definitely don’t need to overthink this, just pick something that appeals to you. If you like the Reddit PPL that’s a fine choice.

@icecreamballer Just start with compounds (bench, squat, deadlift, pullups, dips, etc.), and then at your own leisure stack on a handful of whatever you think would target muscles that complement your natural frame. There is no reason why anyone would have to do some obscure exercise that isolates the 3rd slip of the serratus anterior every morning, first thing when they get up. The big youtube fitness channels only post that kind of nonsense for content or physical therapy.

@icecreamballer If you’re not intermediate or advanced nearly anything works. The best thing you can do is find a program you enjoy that has a reasonable exercise selection and volume and stick to it. All the optimization in the world can be done later. I’d recommend thinking about sticking with one program and making small changes to adapt it to your needs vs trying to find the perfect or “best” program. What’s optimal or best is also going to depend on the viewpoint of who is promoting it, and there are many different perspectives in lifting.

I’m doing a slightly adapted version of this program right now, running it as a four day split:

It’s push one day and then pull/legs the other, repeat.

@icecreamballer Juggernaut AI training app I found to be super useful and it catered well to experience and goals. You might want to check it out. It’s more power lifting or power building but it kept me interested and focused.