Forearm Training

@mike230 Thanks for the tips.

Already have hammer curls in my split so will add either wrist curls or reverse curls on one of the other days and see how it goes.

@bastionhd I usually hit forearms or abs (the muscle groups I don't prioritize much) when the machines/equipment I need in the gym are occupied. Which is often. lol. But yes you can hit forearms on Chest & Back or Legs if that's more convenient for you than Shoulders & Arms.

@bastionhd I mean, if you have time, every day. I do PPL, so I throw them whenever I have some time, but always on pull day at the end. I've never had forearms soreness that affected a workout the next day.

@anonymous_christian Yes, you can do them almost every day. Do flexion AND extension. I was having some elbow pain and my PT said do forEarm, grip and bicep work so I do it whenever I can. Often back to back days. It's been helping, they recover fast.

@bastionhd if your gym has a pin loaded bicep curl machine hop on that and use that for your forearms.

I trialed this and honestly, it's a million times better than doing cable reverse curls or whatever. you can add in it at the end of your bicep training and it's much easier to progressively overload on too imo.

but you might wanna start off on a very very light weight.

At least try it. I love it but we all have different bodys/

@bastionhd How about not doing reverse curls and isolate the forearm with wrist curls? You can basically do them any day, they take 2 minutes to do an entire workout, and they won't impact biceps recovery

@bastionhd If you’re only doing 6 exercises on arm and shoulder day you have more than enough time and energy left in the tank to add forearms to that day. Or you can incorporate them into your back day since a lot of back workouts done with poor form end up being forearms workouts.

@bastionhd Supported wrist curls and supported reverse wrist curls are all you need. Other exercises do similar things, but the stability added by wrist support should theoretically increase muscle recruitment. Working the wrist muscles simultaneously rather than alternating also makes sure you're not gassing out the wrist on things that are harder but aren't any more effective.

As long as your volume isn't high and you ease into it, you could realistically alternate between wrist curls and reverse wrist curls at the end of EVERY session and be totally fine. Unless you've got some sort of issue, forearm recovery should be one of the fastest in the body.

Don't do heavy wrist curls. It's riskier (marginally), but more importantly, less effective. Forearms respond best to 20-30+ repetitions. Rest-pause can help time efficiently help maximize your gains.