Form Check - Deadlift

doctinsley

45(f), 5’ 7”, 158lbs. Long torso & short legs. In this video, I’m working with 125 lbs, but I upped it to 135 for my final set (I do 3 x 8). Keeping my feet slightly narrower than hips width, and I’m using a mixed grip. I watched the Juggernaut Pillars of Deadlift videos, which were very helpful. I definitely have the leg strength to go heavier, but I’m very new to this lift and have a lot of anxiety about injuring myself, so I want to make sure my form is solid before I really start testing my limits. Thank you so much for any and all constructive feedback.

@doctinsley These look great! You look super strong already :) The only two tweaks I'd suggest are:

- (1) as another commenter said, try to reset a bit more between each rep - specifically, I noticed that your knees are in the perfect position before your first rep (kind of tucked right next to / aligned with your elbows), but for the following reps they're a bit further back than they should be). Alan Thrall's most recent deadlifting video on Youtube explains this knee position really well.

- (2) most folks don't wear lifting gloves, for a variety of good reasons. There are also a couple good reasons to wear them (e.g. you have open tears on your palms), but imo it's usually best to forego them. Totally up to you, just wanted to flag as something to look into!

@jakerussel Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely be working on resetting between reps next time. Curious why it’s better to forgo gloves. My hands aren’t torn up. I use the gloves to keep them that way. But if doing so is going to train up a bad habit, I don’t need them.

@doctinsley Gloves effectively increase the diameter of the bar, and they can also put calluses in weird spots ... but if your grip keeps feeling comfy and secure as the weight progresses, there's no need to ditch them.

@doctinsley If you're doing conventional for reps, I'd say, take a second more at the bottom to reset. I do same as you, I rush to do another rep, if the weight is light enough. Notice how on your first rep, your hips are a bit lower than on the following reps? That's how they all should be. Otherwise looks great to me!! I love Juggernaut's guide too btw, good stuff!

@askjulieann Hmmm… gonna expose my ignorance here. What do you mean when you say “doing conventional for reps?” Re: hip position on 1st versus following reps. I see what you’re seeing. I was actually feeling proud that I didn’t let my hips sink down (I’ve been doing “squatty” deadlifts, apparently, with my hips too low). Proper form is to tricky. I’ll keep at it. Thank you for your feedback.

@doctinsley Meaning you're aiming to lift off the ground on each rep, setting each rep like its your first of the set. If it becomes a race to finish all reps before running out of breath/stamina, then it's easier to let go of tension in the back and proper bracing. Your setup on the first rep look awesome to me! It's just a matter of starting each rep there.

In regard of tucking the chin, Juggernaut don't recommend that, the gaze is meant to be fixed on one spot according to them. That works well for me personally. But it's a matter of figuring out what works best for you. As long as your head is not at extreme angle up or down and you're not turning head sideways at any point, you should be good.

@doctinsley Be sure to tuck your chin. Right now it looks like you’re trying to keep your gaze at the same spot but your neck should be in a neutral position (which means your gaze should move). Overall looking good!

Back