Gaining weight on a caloric deficit. HELP!

activatedalmond

6’0”, 209.4lbs, Male.

I started my cut at 210lbs on April 17th, it ends August 26th, day of competition. I have a goal to reach 192-195lbs for showtime. I’m having a bit of a hard time losing the weight. The following are my weigh ins from the last few days:

April 29th, 207.6lbs

May 1st, 208.4

May 2nd, 208.8

May 3rd, 209.4

I’m not too sure what’s going on. I’ve been consuming between 2,181 cals to 2,400 cals, working out and walking daily. I haven’t had a single cheat meal, but have had 1 glass of wine since I started my cut. My TDEE during a cut claims to be 2,708 cals.

Am I in too low of a deficit, and if so, should I increase my caloric intake to 2,708 to match what the calculator says my cutting calories should be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

@activatedalmond You’re not losing weight and your question is, should I eat more to lose more weight? Just think about that on a basic logic level.

Calculators aren’t always correct, it’s a rough estimate. Calorie counting is also an estimate, nobody does it perfectly.

If your weight loss has stalled, you have to eat less than you’re eating now. Maybe you were actually eating 3000 calories, thinking it’s 2200. That’s common. Just eat less and you’ll lose weight.

@activatedalmond There's also virtually no way to perfectly measure how much you're burning. It's all estimates.

If you track consistently, track what calorie intake makes you stay the same weight. Then plus or minus off that estimate. It seems you haven't found what amout of calories (according to how you track) maintains your weight.

@activatedalmond 4 days isn’t enough to base anything on. Keep at it for 2 weeks. If it doesn’t start going down, cut 100 calories/day for the next week. Reevaluate again. Make your decisions on running averages, not daily scale weight. MacroFactor takes all of the guess work out of this.

@increasinglygrateful I didn’t think water would make for this fluctuation, but it could be the culprit. I increased my water intake from half a gallon up to 1 gallon and 16oz, as it’s been keeping me hydrated. I try to sweat hard during workouts, but don’t sweat too crazy during spring, but I’ll be sweating like crazy during the summertime while I workout.

@activatedalmond It’s not so much how much you’re drinking it’s what your body is holding onto. Sodium, carbs, inflammation from lifting - there’s loads of stuff going on that can alter how much you’re holding. Give it time, know the math you’re doing with calories and try not to stress too much.

@activatedalmond Never weigh yourself after a workout, especially if you're drinking water during it (which you should be) Your hydration levels, glycogen stores, sodium levels can all vary drastically workout to workout

You should only weigh yourself immediately upon waking up, after going to the bathroom and completely naked including taking off your Fitbit or jewelry if you wear any.

@miryamshoresh Didn’t think about this. I’ll definitely wake up and weigh myself asap. I usually don’t have to use the bathroom until after eating my morning protein oats, so I’ll be figuring out a way to make myself go before I eat.

Back