Geoff Neupert Strength Standards

@snowlucario It's a nice goal to shoot for, and I think anyone that's capable of it would be fairly well rounded individual in terms of strength and conditioning. #3 I'm sure I can do, #4 I'd like to find out.

@snowlucario I’ll check out the email later.

I also like that he slapped a time on there, especially the 20 minutes. I feel like when I get through The Giant with the 32s, that’s more than attainable.

It’s a nice easy progression with each bell, DFW into The Giant. That’s a solid 4 months of training with each weight. Maybe two years in total to go from 16s to 32s with 4kg jumps. ROP tries to bring you from a single 16 to 32 in about the same amount of time, especially since most folks are gonna need the 28kg. I can’t say that ROP was a complete waste of my time, but after the timed sets and doubles work, I never really looked back.

Still, I like Dan’s standards. I want a bodyweight snatch, 15 bodyweight overhead squats, and 48kg pull up. Just before I focus those, I’ll have gone through The Giant with the 32s. At least that’s the plan.

About the squat… I get that it might not satisfy some folks. I think it’s enough. My max on the barbell was 140kg for 5 and 115 for 20. I was thick as fuck. Just like Dan’s 1x10 standard, hit Geoff’s, then continue on as far as you want to go.

@snowlucario I do about 10 total push presses and squats with them before my main workout. Probably by next month I’ll switch to presses and keep the same routine. 10 presses and squats with the 32s, then clean and jerks with the 24s.

I have two months left on the fat loss beta test program, so I’ll be done mid September if I don’t miss any workouts. I’ll either start DFW or The Giant depending on my RM. It would be cool to get a crew together. Unfortunately, I think the timing is always going to be off. I’ll be chasing the numbers you guys put up.

@learnandbloom I forgot you were beta testing! Can’t wait to see those results.

Yeah it’s a struggle to coordinate, but it would be cool. Mostly I just want people to commiserate with and push me lol.

@snowlucario I would like the email. I thought I was on Geoff’s email list but just checked and I haven’t received one since June. Maybe I unsubscribed and forgot about.

i will preface this comment by acknowledging I have not read the full email yet, and I don’t know if Geoff addresses this. For strength standards, this feels like a lot of volume. 10 sets in 20 mins is every other min on the min. If these are more “work capacity” standards that makes sense.

@haydnp Shoot me your email and I’ll forward it.

He does sort of address it, I called it Strength standards but he calls it “strong enough to do heavy chores” to paraphrase.

@snowlucario I found myself really grateful for Geoff’s programming this afternoon when I was out back shoveling dirt and lifting a large concrete slab. The functional strength and muscular endurance gained from most kb work really speaks to my practical side.

Edit: this isn’t sarcasm. I really did those things today.

@bccoachwaelti Lol, last year I moved my limestone slab hearth from my deck to the living room and was disappointed in myself for struggling so much with moving it. I was eyeballing it and guessing it was maybe 200lbs. I plugged the dimensions into a calculator and it was ~350lbs, so I didn’t feel nearly as bad.

Update: I have now read the email.

For the context Geoff gives, I think these standards make sense. Although, I would argue that if you could meet the standards with the 24 kg bells you could handle all of the examples that he cites (e.g., chopping wood, moving, pushing your friend to the ground outrunning your friend when being chased by a bear). If you could meet the standards with a 32 kg bell, you are a beast in my book.

I will add that snatching a 32 kg bell for 100 reps in 10 mins sounds impossible to me currently. I am running a modified version of DFW with the 24 kg bells. My best has been ladders of 2-3-5 for a total of 35 reps in the C&P and DFSQ in 30 mins. Realistically, I could reach 10 sets of 5 in a few months, especially if I am "only" doing one of the exercises in 20 mins. However, I still feel really uncomfortable snatching the 24 kg. The most snatches I have done with the 24 kg is 3 sets of 10 reps (5 on each hand) and that was a struggle. I'm not even sure I could meet the snatch standard the 20kg bell. I am fairly confident I could do the 16 kg, but I have not tested.

It also seems to me that C&P and DFSQ are more closely related to strength, where snatching is more closely related to power and cardiovascular capabilities. I think an interesting twist would be to condense the time frame for the snatch standard, a la the RKC/HKC snatch test. Goals 1-3 would remain unchanged. For goal 4, keep the 28 kg for C&P and DFSQ, but snatch the 24 kg 100 reps in 5 mins. And the final level could keep the 32 kg for the grinds, but the snatch standard would be 200 reps in 10 mins with the 24 kg.

@bevc It’s no surprise that his latest program is one for double C+P & FSQ two days a week and single bell snatch two days a week.

It’s called Kettlebell Maximorum

@snowlucario Unless you are someone who can already hit all of these standards, they are super useful benchmarks to shoot for. I for one can’t do them all, so I know that when I do, I’ll have a sense of accomplishment and knowing that I’ve gotten significantly stronger. They’re all useful exercises as well that translate to sport and functional fitness.

@snowlucario I'm doing Geoff's Maximorum right now and enjoying it. The question I have reading his Stong Enough standards (which follow the primary Maximorum exercises), why not structure them as a percentage of body weight instead? As a 73 kg human the goal of 10 x 5 anything with 64 kg seems unrealistic. Is there a similar goal out there in the kettlebell world expressed as a percent of bodyweight? Thanks all