Going to enroll in a gym for the first time but don't have enough money for a personal trainer

delightintheway

First off, I'm 25 y/o, 6ft, 210lbs and I want to look good and feel better about myself! Also I want to be strong, ang maglose ng weight siguro ay 2nd sa priority ko.

After 2 years of not taking care of my self as much as I should have, I'm in a better place now so tingin ko it's time get my life back on track kasi nagkakaedad na rin ako, and getting in shape is one of my goals for this year.

There's this Anytime Fitness that's gonna open near where I live (Felix Ave) and I'm thinking of enrolling pero yun nga lang, hindi kaya ng budget ko ang maghire ng PT.

Any of you guys can recommend a few workout routines that I can do for the first 3 to 6 months? I don't mind watching instructional videos on youtube. Or if I could find something online na magbibuild ng workout for me, kahit paid app or something like that.

It would mean a lot if some of you guys could help. Thanks!

@delightintheway Since AF, you'll pretty much be good for any YouTube work outs and all. Try looking for pages on IG that give free workout routines. I do crossfit and a lot of crossfit accounts on IG provide work outs. You'll probably find similar account that post free workouts for things like calisthenics or body building. Try everything you can and then pick which kind fits best for you. You can follow any of those for variety and if you don't know the movement just search it on YouTube.

In general it's like 70 or 80 percent dieting so just eat healthier and make sure you burn more calories in a day than you take in. No need to count calories strictly, estimating is fine but calorie counting helps. If you get your nutrition right then your gym routine won't need to be as intensive either.

Also since you're AF, try joining classes if the schedule suits you just to add more variety. Might as well make the most of your membership anyhow.

@delightintheway LOL. Are you me?

I was nearing the end of my 26th year when i started lifting. 5ft11.5 and at 215lb. Wanted to get strong so i did powerlifting and tried a bunch of programs before I dropped everything not directed to getting stronger. I eventually settled into a linear progression that made sense to me but ran it for too long before i realized i had to transition to a post-novice program. I've fluctuated weight from going down to 193 up to 220. Currently at 216 but a lot stronger and leaner than before.

My proposal:
  1. Join the phitness tele to get form checks and get to talk with like minded people.
  2. Do your own research online and have a healthy dose of skepticism.
  3. Set SMART goals. Be as clear as you can. e.g. strength can mean many different things to different people. Clarify what you mean.
  4. Learn the basic barbell movements from someone in person.

a) The phitness gc can prob help you find someone near you to help you.

b) If you can come to QC I can teach you in person by guesting you at my gym or if you want more neutral ground we can find a gym that does paid walk ins.

@delightintheway Would also strongly recommend watching videos by shreddedsportsscience on YouTube. From his videos you can branch out into different fitness philosophies he discusses and you can check them out too. YouTube is a giant rabbit hole of all kinds of fitness philosophies which can be both overwhelming and intimidating. Also not everyone there can back up what they post with science and literature so it'd be good to start your personal research with someone who actually cites exercise science lit.