High cholesterol as a vegan

@slowmarathoner I had a similar issue…. After I went vegan, my total cholesterol (which had been in the mid-200s) dropped to 150. Then I discovered all the delicious vegan cheeses and I’m convinced that’s why my cholesterol went up to 170 when I last had it checked. Now I’m reading labels to make sure there generally isn’t added coconut (or that it is minimal) and that saturated fat per serving is under 3 grams.… there is a lot of sneaky coconut in vegan products and that is one of the rare plant based sources of saturated fat, which will cause your liver to produce more cholesterol.
I’m a doctor, and I know your doctor may say a total cholesterol of 184 is great (considering our society is largely on a western diet with prevalent lifestyle diseases) but I agree with you that ideally it should be under 170 or even better, 150 or below, for the lowest risk of cardiovascular disease.

@slowmarathoner It may just be a genetic thing. It's possible if your diet consists of a lot of the plant sources of saturated fat (such as the tropical oils like coconut, palm, etc.) then that could be having an impact. For example, my sister eats a ton of vegan butter / cheese replacements that are coconut based. However, familial hypercholesterolemia is present in about 1 in 250 people so that could be at play potentially.

@slowmarathoner A lot of vegan cheeses are made with coconut fat which is a saturated fat. Studies are a little back and forth on it but the most consistent consensus seems to be that it does raise cholesterol just not as much as the saturated fat in red meat and butter. If you are eating a ton of coconut fat products like vegan cheese or making food with coconut milk or coconut oil these results would not be entirely surprising.

@ellehcim83 I never do is the thing. This bagel was after my partner pressured me to try a new spot nearby, and i didn't like it... i've never liked ice cream, I only really cook with canola or olive oil, and I cook all my own food (except chips and bread). I do love nuts and tahini...so that might be it? I'm going to look at all the labels of anything mildly processed i eat.

@slowmarathoner Mine has always has been higher than ideal. It didn’t change much after I became vegan about 3 years ago. I’m WFPB. I rarely eat meat or cheese alternatives and I don’t really use coconut oil. My BMI is 19. I lift, do cardio, take my supplements, do mobility stuff, prioritize sleep, get daylight every day, don’t drink soda, alcohol or coffee. I’m a text book “health nut.” Some people just have higher cholesterol.

There are risks associated with long term statin use. Given my lifestyle and general health I decided that, for me, the risks of the medication aren’t worth the benefits. I also didn’t want to be on a medication for the rest of my life. I may reassess if things change but for now I just try to do what I can to ensure a long and healthful life.

@slowmarathoner It’s really difficult to find good information. Most of the stuff out there on any health subject is aimed at people who have to make big lifestyle changes and is really dumbed down for mass consumption. I feel like there’s a limited market for people like is so no one bothers. From what I’ve read I think didn’t all the other factors I don’t need to worry about my cholesterol like I would if I was overweight or a smoker etc.

@slowmarathoner LDL is partialy genetic. However, there are three dietary factors you CAN control:
  • Eat more Fiber
  • Eat more PUFA
  • Eat less Saturated Fat
Track all your nutrition on cronometer. You may need to limit saturated fat to 10 grams a day if you are a small woman. A good formula is (Total calories * 0.009). Saturated fat is much more ubiquitous in vegan foods than it used to be. Also consider a statin.

@slowmarathoner I remember my doctor saying that eating before a cholesterol test only effects your triglyceride levels, the cholesterol test itself will still be accurate. So you don't have to worry about what you ate a few hours before. Cholesterol levels can be largely based on your genetics. One of my friends had high cholesterol and so do most people in his family. He followed his doctor's instructions to a T, radically changed his whole life, dramatically improved his health across the board, and his cholesterol levels were completely unchanged. Some people just need to lower it with medication. If that ends up being you there's nothing wrong with that.

Back