Hip pain squating

floridabr

So I'm getting some pain in my right hip when I squat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anterior_Hip_Muscles_2.PNG

Looking at this diagram its it feels like where all the bottom muscles meet at the top.

Here's a lackluster photo of me point to the spot

https://ibb.co/cLrqYkL

Observations
- been noticing a bit of discomfort while cycling at the extension.

SQUATS
- warm ups went fine.
- first working step started to feel it a little bit coming out of the hole. I don't go super deep, around parallel.
- second it was much worse and I had to stop. I felt a loss if strength.

I continued my work out and made some notes.

RDL
- no issue

LEG PRESS
- felt it significantly less, and only towards the very top of the movement.
- pressing on the outside of my door helped
- parallel feet made it much worse, pain and loss of power.

No issue with leg curls or seated calf raises.

I've also noticed that my right foot will naturally be rotated out more than my left.

And I'm told when I bench my right leg is much wider out than my left (I can't tell)

Any one have any thoughts, even just on the terminology so I can search better and talk more concisely with a pro if I need to.

@floridabr Do you train hip mobility/strength? Cossack squats, squat x lunge movements, 90/90 stretches w/ rotating knee outward or ankle inward, split squats, et al helped me immensely to reduce pain I was having in a similar area.

@dawn16 Not really :(

I'm actually looking up stretches and exercises right now. Seems like its from tight / weak hammies and tight hip flexors.

I'll start looking up the ones you said helped you.

Thanks for the input!

@floridabr I like to do a lot of active movement before squatting, but yoga helps quite a bit too. Pigeon and frog poses are great to have in your tool bag if you have weak hips.

@floridabr If it feels at all like a muscle that has a trigger point “ knot”, dry needling is magic! My hip got to the point where I couldn’t take a step up. A hot tub jet directly pointed at the muscle alternating with stretches in the hot water is the next best thing. Sometimes you have to let it heal. Best of luck to you.

@cajuntinman Was tighter this morning and loosening up. Doesn't seem ready to be stretched it, pretty painful and also doesn't feel right.

I have a massage gun that's I've stuck in there, but doesn't seem to help.

Think I'll have to let it heal and get some stretches and exercises from a physio

@floridabr My physical therapist is in my top 3 -5 favorite people list regularly 😂

Have you ever used voltaren gel? It is an over the counter anti inflammatory. Sometimes you can reduce the inflammation with that so it will heal.

@cajuntinman I've used it but my eyes are too sensitive for them. I use a heating pad on it and my body and then go at with the gun.

It's funny, I was looking around at physios just before I got injuries bc I was kicking up my lifting and wanted to make sure I was right.

Seems like they got even more expensive during thr pandemic so I was processing the price.

@floridabr Mine physical therapist is covered by my insurance. For 30 bucks, I got dry needling, massage, specialized strengthening balance and flexibility exercises. Best deal ever!

@floridabr I used to be go hard or go home with my workouts, and then it became go hard and go to the urgent care and physical therapist. The small differences in form / diet/ recovery don’t always catch us in our 20s, but in those 30s and beyond everything all of a sudden matters.

@floridabr Hopefully it’s just tightness as you suggested, but you also may look into the hip labrum. I had hip labral issues a few years ago. I thought it was worth mentioning once I saw where you were pointing to in the photo.

@lisdion Hopefully! Reading up on the symptoms I don't have most of them. No pain anywhere other than the hip, no unsteadiness either.

Good to be in the radar tho, thanks.

Back