How could I possibly eat less and exercise a sh*t ton more, and actually gain weight??

@curtswill Simply don’t reply if you’re going to be disrespectful. There are logical and scientific explanations for weight gain at this point besides eating too much.

I am obviously not gaining fat as you seem to be concluding. I’ve started a video series of me measuring EVERY thing I ingest just to prove (to whom I don’t even know) that I am being honest.
You are flat out wrong and ought to reconsider your approach to “helping” people.

@curtswill Haha I’m chill. This is Reddit. I take answers with a grain of salt. I just want you to know that you couldn’t be more wrong, and that your ignorance could be harmful for some people to read.

I’m in recovery from an eating disorder and I have plenty of experience tracking obsessively. You jumping to the conclusion that I’m not tracking properly suggests that you don’t believe in staying under 1700 calories. Believe it or don’t. I am well under that every single day.

@curtswill I am 100% without a doubt eating less than prior to starting this when I was steady at 184-186lbs. This obviously is not the only answer because I am NOT consuming more calories. I’m also not eating junk like chips and ice cream which was nearly daily before.

@youngwolf It can be water weight. I needed to drop weight because of a kickboxing competition recently. Did a 1000 calorie deficit (or more some days). Gained 4kg (8lbs) over 2 weeks. Was going insane because competition was closing in. Then from Monday to Thursday one week I dropped 6 kg (12lbs) when my body stopped retaining water. I am not sure why it decided to do that but it can happen. But your body can only retain a certain amount and for a certain amount of time. Keep going a while longer. Keep being strict with calculating all your food. If in 1-2 more weeks you still have not lost anything you can start lowering you calorie intake.

@betreshalephshinyadtaw Thank you! This is actually helpful and reminds me of past crash diets where I water fasted for days and didn’t lose any weight. Stress, inflammation, menstrual cycles all factor in to the number on the scale. I do tend to retain water.

@youngwolf I started lifting again recently and tried to to do a calorie deficit. I gained 5 pounds. Concluded it's water weight 8n my muscles. Partially caused by my addition of creatine monohydrate to my diet.

@youngwolf You haven't gained weight, or, you don't actually know if that's real weight. 2 lbs fluctuation 3 weeks after starting is literally nothing, especially for women. Sometimes when I ovulate I'll go up 4 lbs, and I weigh 40 lbs less than you. It comes out in the wash. I usually drop my weight after I menstruate, and I end up lower than where I started at the beginning of the cycle.

@youngwolf I recently discovered that between water retention and more blood being created for my heavy workouts, I’m the same size as I was AT 10 POUNDS SMALLER. Do not underestimate the internal compensation that your body is doing, the scale only tells part of the story.

I have been workout out hard and dieting for 8 weeks. I started at 148/151 (went up 3 lbs the first week from exercise). This past Friday I weighed in at 144.4 but it was right before my cycle, I had a few drinks the night before, I figured I was around 143. Tried on my jeans that were too tight in September when I weighed 133 and they fit. All of my bras from around that time also fit. The recomposition my body has done is much more obvious in the mirror and with clothing than it is on the scale.

This also makes sense because in the past after a “program” like I’m doing now, I’ve lost significant weight after I stopped exercising. I thought it was because my metabolism was higher temporarily, but it was definitely my body dropping everything it was holding onto for workout recovery purposes.

@youngwolf Serving size is not difficult to calculate if you use a food scale.

What do you want us to say? There’s some black magic happening causing your stall? It could be body recomp. It could be you’re not calculating correctly. If you’re a woman it could be PMS bloat. It could be too much water weight from salt intake or too much aspartame. It could be a medical issue. Weight loss doesn’t go down consistently and is more of a downward trend with stalls and upticks.

Expecting instant and big immediate results reeks of unrealistic goals which often comprise of blinders to missed issues that you may not be considering. The fact that you say not to even suggest you aren’t tracking correctly is laughable. This is the internet and a post we’re reading from a stranger— what do you expect us to offer you?

@youngwolf If you’ve just started strength training, you may retain extra water for around 2 months. This happened for me when I started last August, nothing moved until October and then I started losing at a very steady pace. Got sick in January, cut back on workouts, and went through the same thing over again.

@youngwolf Your weight can be +/- 5% due to retained water, and being at the low end of that is dehydration and bad.

If you work out, you also gain muscle, ideally, which is good weight to add; start tracking bodyfat and not pounds to avoid that one.

Other than that, it is possible that 1700 is more calories than you're burning, or your tracking is wrong.

@youngwolf It’s been 3 weeks. You need to set long term goals. If after 3 months there’s still issues then re-evaluate your calorie intake. Also, no need to exercise for 90min/day. That’s not going to help or be sustainable for most ppl

@youngwolf Try using a bodyfat monitor or body measurements to track your progress instead

It's probably lean muscle muscle weights 1.1g/ml fat is about between 0.6 and 0.9g/ml
As you lose fat you and workout you will grow muscle to start with, this will make you leaner (less fat) but not necessarily lighter.

Sounds like you're putting in the work though, keep it up and you'll be healthier and look great.

Back