How does everyone balance all their fitness needs as you age?

@bridgida You need to make it a priority. Get up early and train before the family gets up if you have to. Ask the wife to watch the kids for an hour if you need to train in the evenings. You need to make the time to make it happen. If you’re on IG check out my buddy @bigpappajam he has 2 kids at home and has lost almost 200lbs! It needs to become a lifestyle not an afterthought.

@dawn16 Totally agree with you. My concern is that I don’t know how to focus on balancing cardio with strength with flexibility/mobility and still make sure my body is getting the right amount of all three.

Thanks for the IG reco. I’ll take a look.

@bridgida I’m currently cutting (40 years old). I get my weight training in then get about 20 min cardio at the end of my session. I have hired a coach who’s helping me get my diet and training on point to achieve my goals. You can do this if you’re serious. Get a personal trainer if necessary to tell you what to do and keep you on track.

@bridgida Hey, good on you for taking your health back. I'm coming from a similar spot. 35, 5'6", 200+ lbs, kids, full time job, previously fit.

I made fitness a non negotiable priority, so acknowledging that and making it happen is step one. I get about an hour in 5-6 days a week. I primarily focus on strength training because I see the best weight loss results from that, then I fit cardio in around that schedule. So strength 2-4 times a week, depending on the 6 week cycle I'm running, and the remaining days are cardio. Strength training will feel like cardio at first too. Enjoy the extra calorie burn while you can. I also do a 10 minute stretching routine most evenings after the kiddos go to bed. I'd be happy to chat more about what's working for me and ehaty experience has been if you have any more questions.

@bridgida Congrats. Buy an ergobaby. Walk with your child as much as possible. Stretch regularly. That’s how you start. You will need to improve flexibility carrying a little person around anyway. The fellow who told you stretching is optional knows jack and shit about trying to do this with children in your life. Eventually you will be running around with the little munchkin. It never gets easy, but it does become less time consuming. When that happens, you can incorporate more conventional workouts slowly. You’re just surviving for the next 3-6 months.

@bridgida Married dad of 3, with teenage kids. Full-time job. Busy in church and with friends. Wife is working part time. Have a dog and hobbies.

Bottom line -- I had to make fitness a priority. I started by going on walks when the kids were in bed.

Then on my lunch break.

Then at my local gym at lunch break.

Then before / after work.

Now that I'm WFH during pandemic, it's much easier to do it.

It's also much easier to skip it.

It all comes down to priorities.

Someone once told me If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.

So, either make the choice to make it a priority,

...or make the choice to stay at your unhappy weight.

Either way, the choice is yours.

@dawn16 Neither. From a physical fitness standpoint, I’m not sure about how much of each (cardio, strength, flexibility/mobility) I need and what that daily/weekly schedule would look like.

@bridgida I'm 33 with 2 kids and have gotten into weightlifting for the last 5 year after I had our youngest. At this point it's just habit/lifestyle for me. I wake up at 5am (which took a solid year or even more to not dread it terribly) and workout before the rest of the house wakes up. It's super hard for me personally any other time of the day. With kids their needs start immediately and don't stop until bed time. And by the time my husband comes home from work and we have dinner I'm spent and could never imagine working out in the evening after they go to bed. Once again that's just me personally. Tons and tons of mental pep talks and forcing myself out of bed in the morning. I know when I physically need a break but other than that I just do it. And I really pay attention to how I feel and I don't ego lift anymore etc because I know as I age I can't do that lol. Hope any of that rambling helps and the best of luck! 💪

@bridgida Welcome to Parenthood brother!

Well done for taking accountability & thinking about your health. First, write out your goals. What you want to achieve in a day, week, month etc.
2) Change your diet, food is fuel for the body. You want to make sure you’re eating the right food.
3) Move. Whether it’s cleaning the backyard, the house - move! Get that sweat on. Take baby for walks. Once you’ve hit a certain weight start working on strength. Due to covid, home gym is the answer. Even lifting an old tyre, find a battle rope & swinging that for a couple of minutes is better than doing nothing. You’ll slowly get into your rhythm & find a routine that will work for you & your family.

@bridgida I don't. When life gets busy my workouts taper off to basically nothing, I gain 10-15lbs, the self-loathing starts, diets are started and fail 10x, then life slows down and I get back on the workout wagon.

/end

@bridgida Before kids I worked out 6 days a week. After I switched to a 3 day split and actually got stronger and leaner. For me, it was mostly diet: IF and tracking macros. But I focused on a few compound exercises instead of the mid rep/cardio heavy workouts that take a lot longer. Also, I was in no rush. My progress was slow but steady. Take your time and stick with it.

@bridgida The first 2 years are some of the easiest times to get some cardio in with your kid because they are happy to ride in a stroller, backpack, etc. for as long as you are. I used to do 3-4 miles a day when mine were babies. Then they get big enough to put in a backpack and walk with. Not long after that you can pull them on a bike. We would do a 10 mile ride almost every evening between dinner and bedtime.

@bridgida I'm 44F and am getting back into shape. I decided I needed a good balance of strength, flexibility, and cardio. I had to decide what activity I want to prioritize for progression, and what I need to include for health. I am prioritizing running, so I am starting at 3 days/week and moving up to 6 days/week gradually, topping out at probably 30-40 mpw a few months from now. I lift 2 days/week (Wendler), do yoga 5 days/week, and a fun cross-training activity (swimming, cycling, kayaking) twice a week. I walk at least 30 min/ day. One day is complete rest aside from walking.

To accomplish this I get up at 5 and start working out at 5:30. I walk dogs at lunch and after work (I work from home). Yoga is whenever. We have a home gym so that helps immensely. I try to incorporate my younger kid as much as possible; they especially love swimming with me. I will probably start to do yoga with them as well.

I have learned that exercise is a necessity for mental health and keeping up with my life, so it's all worth it.

@bridgida Doing something at some point is better than doing nothing.

Start small, add walks after meals with the family, eat one better meal a day, pass on one snack every day

It’s cumulative and small changes add up

Back