How long do you rest for in between sets?

@dawn16 Upper is split between supersetting horizontal push and pull and then vertical push/pull with some added side laterals for delt targeting. So bench and rows and then shoulder press and chin ups with laterals. Then I do a superset of bis and tris. The exercises themselves change every so often but the plane of motion stays the same. Legs is more supersets. Lately I've been doing sled drags, lunges, leg curls, calf and tibia. Usually 3 sets per exercise,.sometimes 4. 4 workouts per week. Plus bjj once a week and intervals on the concept 2 rower 1-2 times a week. I don't go very heavy these days. Body just beaten up over the years.

@distantthoughts I have similar challenges. Generally I target 1 hour for my workouts. Usually do 6 movements. First 2 are usually compound and are 3-4 sets with 3ish min of rest. Next 4 are usually just 3 sets with 2ish min of rest. The last 2 sets I will usually superset to save time and get out of there a little faster. Example - triceps push down and lat raises. I started doing this a few weeks ago and I really like it to save a little time. Plus, the supersets get my heart rate up a little more right at the end of the workout, which I like as well.

@emet_ziton Yeah I watched one of his videos on rest times but he also said something along the lines of once you feel like you can do the next set you should do it, so like 10 seconds rest for calf raises which contradicts with the research, but, regardless I guess theyre quite minimal gains.

@distantthoughts Between 3-5 minutes for big compound movements (BP, OHP, DL, SQ) and then 1:30-2 for other movements, lower Spectrum on isolation like lateral raises, higher spectrum on like pulldowns.
My workouts take a really long time tho, I believe probably I am doing too much volume

@distantthoughts 2-3 minutes for isolations, 3-6 for compounds depending on how taxing they are. I really only rest 6 minutes after a really heavy squat or deadlift set. The way I reduce total workout time is by supersetting any movement I can. Sometimes I will even superset three movements if possible.

@distantthoughts Depends. For isolation machine exercises or dumbell or cable. It's longer up to 2 minutes while progressive overloading. And the reps get faster more explosive. When I deload 30% the reps become super slow burn reps and it's more like 30 second rest. Gradually decreasing in cadence and rest Gradually increasing back up to 2 mins with the progressive overload. If it can't be done with 2 min rest. I plateau and deload.

On squats/deads it's basically 1:30 if easy 3 Mins if last was hard. Any big lift basically.

@distantthoughts Until you feel recovered and then add 30 seconds.

Depends on the intensity of the set just gone too, maybe 2 mins for first acclimating set, +30 seconds from each set onward if you’re pyramiding up in weight.

@distantthoughts 3 mins for compounds works, but 1 min for isolation is too little. You do isolations after big compounds so fatigue is setting in so I tend to allow 2 mins so I can mentally give it my all in the last 2-3 exercises where you start looking forward to the end.

@distantthoughts I've tried different rest times. I like to superset two exercises currently usually for 1.5 to 2 min between sets lately.

I have also tried a 1 minute rest period, for straight sets, for lower body (as a rehab workout mostly).

@distantthoughts Probably just over 30s in between superset exercises (pull, push, legs) then I wait till I recover. I do aim towards conditioning more than just strength however. However it really all depends on how I'm feeling. In the summer when it's hot I take a lot longer to recover.