How many pullups are enough in a workout

@trvadams Handstands taught me this lesson. One arm always cops the brunt of my practice because I disengage on that side when I fall backwards, so I always spin around on that arm. A while back i started getting a lot of pain in my right forearm. I've since done way less practice. It hasn't really impeded on my training, I feel like my consistency is still growing, but I don't struggle with pain in that arm

@houstonreborn when i started conditioning my tendons for the planche by doing zanetti presses i never had any tendon problems in my bicep anymore. same with my tricep when i started doing muscle ups i would get tendonitis in my triceps but after doing some tendon conditioning with isometric holds, etc, its been completely fine for a while now even tho i do muscle ups almost every day.

straight arm exercises like the zanetti press train your bicep tendons very well and for the tricep tendon i did one where you basically hold your arm in a 90° angle and push down on a table or something as hard as you can for around 30sec-1min

@houstonreborn I think slow progression is a good path. Good technique is very important. Don’t pull with all arms. Antagonist muscles need just as much training. I’m pretty sure I’m hurt because of poor technique. I’m not an expert but I’m sure if you put up a video of your pull ups you would get a lot of constructive feedback.

@lucaannibale 1 and a half years of 6 days a week? Dude, an injury was in the fryer for a long long time. I'm 2 years in and I am super happy to take time away if I feel an injury come on.

I just finished moving house and I did my back in a little bit last week. Haven't touched the equipment since. I plan to hop back on the bar on Wednesday and get back in the groove. It's okay to take some time away, you're not gonna shrivel up, you're not a pickle

@oar I think a lot of the risk of tendonitis in this specific instance has more to do with your regular climbing load on top of a workout program. The elbow/shoulder are under a lot of stress from climbing, and further breakdown of the muscle fibres from lifting/calisthenics puts even more stress on the tendons. The very definition of overuse.

A non-climber in decent shape should be able to do pull ups to failure with no worries.

@oar That’s interesting. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Proper form pull ups should utilize the back and not stress the shoulders. But that is easier said than done and a lot of calisthenics athletes, include me, have had problems with shoulder tendinitis.

This probably won’t stop me. But it is good for thought. Thanks!

@dcjh Elbow tendonitis is the risk for climbers, but it comes from the combination of grip exercises and bending your arms.

@oar This is definitely a thing, though I got it because I flexed my wrists to help the movement.

This movement here help me heal, and you can use deadlift straps to give you a note when you flex your wrists (if the straps feels loose around wrists, they are not straight).

After I learned to keep my wrists straight I never had any problems.

@houstonreborn Same as any other exercise, you need to go to close proximity to failure, 0-3 reps away

I like to use a TOTAL rep range across 3-5 sets of 25-30 reps, if I can do more, I need to add weight.

@aranyi_zsolt Yes your previous post is inspiring, and a very interesting take on how to progress.
Im training more often than you seem to (3x upper body per week) and I tend to time my rests between sets as I am time constrained (wife and 2 small kids... not much life left lol) so cant really apply your method - even though Id be happy to try it one day.

Agree that the pyramid may complicate everything. I was curious about Calimove's plan so am running it (now done with week 7) and yeah Ive seen improvements - question is ofc if it could have been faster.

Once Im done with their challenge Ill move to weighted pullups. At some point Ill move to archers... and perhaps one day I can get the elusive one arm pull up :)

Back